Nov 26 - 3rd annual Turkey Fry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on Nov 26th...

My wife, Joyce, is planning to whip up a big batch of her "Killer-Death By Ghirardelli Chocolate" brownies. I punch holes in them when I need an extra 3 pounds on the weight belt, but they really do taste great.

I suppose some folding beach chairs will be appropriate. Does it get chiily up there on the Gulf coast?

Okay, I just saw this thread and I have two chances to make it to the Turkey Fry. First, is if things are really behind schedule on the delivery of a sailboat to Key West and second if I'm really ahead of schedule.

So the question becomes, just where is Venice Beach (on a chart) and can a 4 ft. draft sailboat get in there okay? I take it that we're talking a Gulf beach with shallow water well offshore? How far out is deep water?

--

John.

4 ft draft is shallow enough to get you quite close to shore, and there is a pier (docking, I am not sure of) just south of the site and an inlet just north (intracoastal waterway???). Here is the site where we park (inland).

Latitude 27.09523 N
Longitude 82.45803 W

Woo-hoo! Sounds like we're going to have quite a turn out. Yay! Just as a recap, here's what we have so far for food and stuff:

~Tomro - New Orleans chicken and rice
~Taildragger - potato salad
~Kbulla – crumb top apple pie(s)
~madeline - pasta salad
~cardzard - baked beans
~dive4funOften - turkey & fryer
~SharkBaite (hoo-ha-ha) - shade or two, or 1 1/2
~olddiver2 - wife's Killer-Death By Ghirardelli Chocolate brownies

Anyone still needing some ideas, how about any of the following:

~plates, cups, plasticware, etc.
~drinks (water, pop, juice)
~rolls
~Anything else...

I can't wait to see everyone!

Oh, do we have any idea how many kids will be there and what ages? I know we'll have XBulla and IBulla, Sharkbaite will have Minnow, Scuba_Jenny and HermitCrab. ReefGuy, you're whole gang coming along? Just thinking about putting together something for the kids and was wondering what kind of crowd I'd be looking at. :eek:)

Thanks!

Kris

NetDoc:
4 ft draft is shallow enough to get you quite close to shore, and there is a pier (docking, I am not sure of) just south of the site and an inlet just north (intracoastal waterway???). Here is the site where we park (inland).

Latitude 27.09523 N
Longitude 82.45803 W

Found the Waypoint. The chart does say there is good water near shore. There is also an anchorage within a mile on the inside of the island. Additionally someone said the Crow's Nest is a good place to tie up. Anyone know about that?

--

John.

My buddy John still hasn't made up his mind on whether or not we'll be coming. In case we come to Venice with his boat on the Saturday a week before, could someone please give us some pointers on tooth diving? (Location / equipment needed / time of day)

If the best site is by boat, some coordinates would be awesome!

Thanks!
Andy

Can't give you coordinates, but if you're south of the Venice inlet, look for condos just south of the public beach. There will be two sets of large (~3') white pipes that allow runoff from the streets into the water, one to the north end of the condos, the other to the south. Anchor West of the southern pair, in around 25' of water (approx 1/2 mile offshore). That's the boneyard, also called Golden Beach. You can find some big megs there.

Odds are, if you go on a weekend you will see the Florida West boat out there with their dive flag out. Stay 300' away :)

Kris, The whole crew will be coming. We look a little light on veges. We'll bring some veggies and dip.

I'd like to come to this event. I haven't had an opportunity to dive Venice or meet very many Conch's!! I can bring plates, napkins, and utensils. And if we're not worried about the "traditional" food items I'll fire up some meatballs.

Will there be any non-divers? I'd like to bring the wife and kid.

Are there any public boat ramps near by? Should I tow the boat down? Are there any boat dive sites around there. It's only a 20 ft open bow but I could take 6 or so people out.

Where is it we're meating? I'm not very familiar with the area. I've been to the pier.

Directions are here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=60333 We will be meeting at Alhambra street just up the street from the pier, about halfway between it and the public beach.

There will be plenty of non divers there (I'm bringing wife and 4 kids). I think you should definately bring the boat.

Reefguy,

Thanks for the link. Doesn't look too hard to find.

Still don't know about the boat. Can I beach it near where we're going to be meeting? There is a boat ramp in Higel Park just north of Venice beach. I don't have a bottom finder so if anybody wants to go diving off the boat we'll have to have somebody that knows where the site is. I've got a GPS.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom