November 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 11/5
Dive Location: North San Clemente reef
Time: 19:00
Bottom Time:75 minutes
Max Depth:45'
Vis:3-4'
Wave height:-
Temp at depth:60
Surface Temp:62

I was finally able to get my new ignition system in the boat so off we went from Dana Point, 7 miles south.
We dropped down to 40', and smacked the ground with ZERO vis. We pointed due north and finaly found 3-4 foot vis, just enough to see the reef. Somehow I found 5 anchors on this dive, that's a record.
We ended up with 4 bugs. Not too bad considering horrible conditions.
When we surfaced the wind was blowing COLD. I havn't been this cold since January-February of last year. That was one long ride back to the harbor.

Hey Roger (scubapro5), Will says howdy. I was finally able to strap a tank on his back.

Kyle

Date: 11/04/2004
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores, North Wall
Time: 5:24 pm
Bottom Time: 39:20
Max Depth: 99 feet
Vis: 1-10 feet
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 61 degrees
Surface Temp: 63 degrees
Tide information: tide was comming up
Comments: Met Terry and Paul at the Shores. After gearing up Paul realized he didn't bring his fins, so he went home. We waded through the sizable surf and kicked out in a chocolate water. The north swell kept pushing us south, but eventally we made it to the drop down site. We found the peninsula in 65 feet of water. After a minute or two we dropped down and found outselves decending beyond 65 feet down to 99 feet. We had been moved further south beyond the wall just in those few minutes. The bottom was very sandy and we immediatly headed up looking for the wall we came to see. After a few minutes we found the wall and were moving along in limited visibility. Eventually the vis improved and we enjoyed the dive. At our turnaround pressure we headed over the canyon and eventually came to the east wall and saw the bottom rise to meet us. We saw many round rays and thornbacks of all sizes. Many crabs and a few pipe fish to amuse us. Even with the poor conditions we really enjoyed diving the wall. Our exit was timed perfectly and we shuffled out of the surf backwards with the light illuminating the waves just in case.

Pictures: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/shores11052004

Sean,

Nice report! I've got to get back down there to do that peninsula.

Could you provide a URL to that really cool depth finder that you use?

Thanks.

Christian

No problem Christian. I believe they have refurbs which you can get for 88 dollars. I paid 120, but would have gone for the 88 had I known.

Vexilar Depth Finder

Sean

headhunter:
Sean,

Nice report! I've got to get back down there to do that peninsula.

Could you provide a URL to that really cool depth finder that you use?

Thanks.

Christian

divebuddysean:
No problem Christian. I believe they have refurbs which you can get for 88 dollars. I paid 120, but would have gone for the 88 had I known.

Vexilar Depth Finder

Sean
I just ordered a refurbished one. Any problem with these things leaking at depth?

Thanks!

Christian

divebuddysean:
Not so far! Krowsea has a refurb which has been working fine!
I hope you enjoy it! I love mine!!!! :)

Sean
It just seems like one of the most practical "extras" you could have. If you plan on diving a lot of different areas where you know a little about where you expect things to be, then it would be really helpful.

There is a reef off of the coast of Malibu made up of old cable cars and toilet bowls that I vaguely remember from about 20 years ago. This may help me find it. I'm just not sure which beach it's off of. I think I remember having to swim out about a half mile to find it though.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now. :D

Christian

mccabejc:
I wonder why the viz in Laguna is so bad...The lifeguards today said it's still around 10-12 feet. Anyone know why that is? Surf has been pretty low lately. Unless it's a tide thing.

From my (very) limited experience in Laguna 10-12 vis is pretty average.

headhunter:
It just seems like one of the most practical "extras" you could have. If you plan on diving a lot of different areas where you know a little about where you expect things to be, then it would be really helpful. Christian

Yeah, stop hijacking this thread. Anyway, since you've already hijacked it...

I might get one of those depth finders SOLELY to map out the reef around Diver's Cove and Fisherman's. I still haven't figured that place out. It's driving me nuts.

mccabejc:
Yeah, stop hijacking this thread. Anyway, since you've already hijacked it...

I might get one of those depth finders SOLELY to map out the reef around Diver's Cove and Fisherman's. I still haven't figured that place out. It's driving me nuts.

these work great for Kayak divers as well :wink: also, if you are dropping in and want to know how far the bottom is.... like if you miss the pennisula and are dropping into 125ft of water instead of 65 ft......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom