November 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinman:
these work great for Kayak divers as well :wink: also, if you are dropping in and want to know how far the bottom is.... like if you miss the pennisula and are dropping into 125ft of water instead of 65 ft......

:11: Now WHO would do that ??

divebuddysean:
Scripps canyon is close enough to kayak to. I wish I had a kayak!!! I'd love to do it!

We could always rent but it would get real pricey really fast. I still want to dive the end of Scripps Pier. Has to be tons of life on the pilings. Right?

divinman:
We could always rent but it woudl get real pricey really fast. I still want to dive the end of Scripps Pier. Has to be tons of life on the pilings. Right?
It's 10 - 15 feet of water. I'd check it out on a calm day!

Date: 11/05/2004
Dive Location: Malibu, Gorgonian City
Time: 11:24 am
Bottom Time: 71:00
Max Depth: 38 feet
Vis: 15-20 feet
Wave height: 2 feet
Temp at depth: 61 degrees
Surface Temp: 61 degrees
Tide information: 3.4 low tide was at 10:30
Comments:

This was my first day of new site exploration, and boy I hit the jackpot. Massive boulders covered with gorgonians and sea fans made for one of the most beautiful sites I've seen yet in LA county. Dolphins viewed from shore, more fish than a fish market, schools of sardines that took 5 minutes to pass, scores of spanish shawl, blacksmith (including many juvies), rock wrasse, kelp bass, barred sea bass, garibaldi, painted greenlings, kelp rockfish, black-eyed goby, giant kelpfish, feather-duster worms, a friendly pipefish swimming through my hands, fields of sea pens, cute little sheep crabs, senorita, schools of sargo and black perch, opaleye, black croacker, tube anemones, gorgeous yellow zoanthid anemones, armored sea stars, a speckled sanddab, a purple globe crab, armies of elbow crabs, and a swimming crab. It was a great day to dive!

Scott

Wow. I want to dive Gorgonian City. Is that really the name of it?

scottfiji:
Yes, that's the name of it. I named it. I haven't seen it in any dive books or on-line yet.

We could talk off-line about going there some time, and we'll leave it as pristine as we found it....

Oh sure Scott, don't share :11:

Date: 11/06/2004
Dive Location: PB Reef
Time: 0821
Bottom Time: 51:25
Max Depth:74 ft
Avg Depth: 52 ft
Vis:10-15
Swell height: 1ft
Surface Temp: 63
Temp at depth: 56

Date: 11/06/2004
Dive Location: NOSC Tower
Time: 10:24
Bottom Time: :41:35
Max Depth:60 ft
Avg Depth: 39 ft
Vis:10-12
Swell height: 1ft
Surface Temp: 63
Temp at depth: 58

Sean, Roy, John and I met up with Nelson for a quick panga ride out to some local dive sports. Worries of rain and huge swells were unfounded as there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the sea was like glass as we motored to PB Reef for the first dive. Dropped in just west of the rock pile and explored along the edges and in the nooks and crannies. Spotted several lobster and even a few legal ones but they were all tucked safely back in their holes. Roy was removing some mono-filament and found a yellow cancer crab attached to the other end. Roy held the crab while I cut the line and freed the grumpy crab. No thanks were given and none were expected. Roy pocketed the line for later disposal and we moved on. Visibility was a fair 10-15 but mostly on the 10ft side. Enough to see the small stuff including one octopus and several species of Nudibranchs. Having reached out NDL we headed back to the boat and some warm sunshine.

The next dive was at the Tower. I really like this dive and although surge, current and floaties in the water made the dive less "spectacular" it was still a nice easy exploration of the structure. Lots and lots of aggregating and giant green anemones cover the beams. John spotted a nice sized cabazon and pointed it out for some quick pictures. While cruising the lower perimeter of the tower we found a large banded guitar fish hiding under a beam and snapped a few photos to show the folks back home. When ever I come to this site I always check to see if my favorite octopus is home and today I was pleased to see he is still here. It's a bit silly but this is the first octopus I ever saw many many dives ago so I am always happy to find him safe and sound.

As the surge picked up we headed back to the boat and were soon back on the dock and loading the trucks and cars. Some of us went home and some went to lunch and poor unlucky Nelson got to go clean the boat. But then again, that's why he rides for free.

Great dives with good friends beats a day watching TV anytime. :wink:

IMAGES ARE HERE
Enjoy your dives.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom