November Trip to Maui: Help needed in planning trip to another island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone...I know its been awhile, but I want to try and get your opinion on what dives to do in Maui and what dive op to go with. I've read through the tips in here and on several other threads.

I will only have 3 solid diving days on Maui. Since I will be staying in Lahaina, I think that Lahaina divers would be perfect for us. It looks like they have a multitude of options each day...and they also have a 3 day package or a build your own package too. It looks like the boats are large...but the prices and reviews are good. If you have another suggestion, let me know. If any of your had 3 days to boat dive, where would you go? I'm thinking definitely Molokini Crater, Lanai, and ?? It looks like one of the 3 day package (Maui Sampler) goes to Molokini, Lanai, and Turtle reef. Is Turtle Reef worth it or would it be more exciting to repeat Molokini or Lanai? I would assume that any of this would be better than shore diving? I do want to shore dive but I don't want to miss the exciting boat dives. Is there a shore dive that shouldn't be missed? We will have a rental car.

---------- Post added September 16th, 2014 at 07:47 PM ----------

I just checked out Kona Dive Company as suggested. Great reviews. I have no idea how many days we will diving with them...maybe 4-5. I wouldn't mind doing some shore diving there but its hard to beat if they are going to take care of the gear, etc. Any other operations on Kona I should check out?

Last edited:
Regardless of who you go with (and I'll give another shout out to Kona Diving Company), make sure you do the Manta Ray Night Dive. One of the best dives I've ever done.
Have a great trip.

Check out Kona Honu.

Also, ask around about shore diving opportunities/buddies. Kona has wonderful shore diving.

Regardless of who you go with (and I'll give another shout out to Kona Diving Company), make sure you do the Manta Ray Night Dive. One of the best dives I've ever done.
Have a great trip.

Will do! Now I have to talk my wife into doing a night dive. I've been trying...and trying. I know she can handle it. Thanks!

Is Turtle Reef worth it or would it be more exciting to repeat Molokini or Lanai? I would assume that any of this would be better than shore diving?

Turtle Reef isn't exactly a specific location - it's one of several along the West Maui coastline that are chosen for conditions at the time. Dive Turtle Reef with Lahaina Divers

Many of the dive operators like to run out to Molokini/Lanai for a dive or two then return back closer to Maui when the tradewinds pickup for a 2nd dive. If they do afternoon dives like Lahaina Divers does, they're along the coast also. For example on their Carthaginian trip:
Our two dive Carthaginian Dive Charter departs each Monday at 12:30 pm and includes a second dive at another site along the West Maui coast.

Any boat dive is deeper than most of the shore dives. Black Rock is probably one of the better dives near Lahaina with an easy entry. Old Airport is decent but it's pretty shallow for a long way out. We used scooters to get to deeper water there - even the 2nd reef wasn't much over 60' IIRC.

Maybe drive down to the south Wailea area beaches for a couple of dives one afternoon for a couple of dives. Parking may be an issue at many of them - it's public access but the lots are small. It's going to be a 45min-hr. drive from your place though. If you bring a change of clothes there's some nice places to eat in Wailea also - not cheap but one I liked is: Longhi's Restaurants | Ala Moana, Oahu | Wailea, Maui | Lahaina, Maui

Turtle Reef isn't exactly a specific location - it's one of several along the West Maui coastline that are chosen for conditions at the time. Dive Turtle Reef with Lahaina Divers

Many of the dive operators like to run out to Molokini/Lanai for a dive or two then return back closer to Maui when the tradewinds pickup for a 2nd dive. If they do afternoon dives like Lahaina Divers does, they're along the coast also. For example on their Carthaginian trip:

Any boat dive is deeper than most of the shore dives. Black Rock is probably one of the better dives near Lahaina with an easy entry. Old Airport is decent but it's pretty shallow for a long way out. We used scooters to get to deeper water there - even the 2nd reef wasn't much over 60' IIRC.

Maybe drive down to the south Wailea area beaches for a couple of dives one afternoon for a couple of dives. Parking may be an issue at many of them - it's public access but the lots are small. It's going to be a 45min-hr. drive from your place though. If you bring a change of clothes there's some nice places to eat in Wailea also - not cheap but one I liked is: Longhi's Restaurants | Ala Moana, Oahu | Wailea, Maui | Lahaina, Maui

Thanks for the info. So I shouldn't worry about Turtle Reef being any better or worse than the other dives. Good to know. I appreciate the shore diving and food tips.

Since we'll be there at the same time, I thought I'd share our plans. We have charters booked for Monday, Tuesday (3-tank), and Friday with Ed Robinson's, then we'll shore dive in the S. Maui area on Wednesday and Thursday mornings (likely Makena Landing).

We used to stay in Kaanapali and started diving with Lahaina Divers. After a couple of years (1 trip per year), we decided it was more than worth it to get up a little earlier and drive down to Kihei to catch a boat. Ed Robinson's quickly became our favorite due to the availability of advanced charters (Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday) and the outstanding dive guides.

Lahaina Divers is an excellent operator but IMO geared toward the occasional or beginner diver. You may feel that your bottom time is limited with their standard "60 feet for 35 minutes" plan and their AL72 tanks, and that you're being babysat by the guides who constantly ask for your air pressure.

We much prefer operators that let you dive your tank, ndl, or 60-65 minutes (whichever comes first) and don't bring their groups up when the first person hits 800psi in their tank. We also really like the wide variety of sites that S. Maui offers that Ed Robinson's takes their divers to. Just our preference, others have faves as well.

If I only had 3 days to dive, I'd jump on Extended Horizon or Lahaina Divers to dive Lanai one day, and drive down to Kihei and get on a boat for 2 days to Molokini and S. Maui sites. As much as I like shore diving, with only 3 dive days and I haven't been to Hawaii, I'd want to have the ease of boat diving. But that's just my personal preference.

We have been diving with several of the Maui ops. I agree that Lahaina divers caters to a wide range of divers, but we usually are left to do our own thing once they have seen us dive, and it's kind of 'be back on the boat in an hour'. The other experience we have had with Lahaina was 'stay with the group until we go back to the boat, then you can poke around the mooring until we hit an hour'.

I like both Molokini and Lanai but it's all very similar with a special geographic feature or special life form or two at each location. You can't really go wrong!!

Turtle town....meh. I'd rather shore dive somewhere or go to Kihei for a boat or shore dive down south.

Shore dives at Black Rock Kaanapali are easy (also GREAT at night conditions and experience allowing). A detailed description of one of many ways to dive here is part of this thread.... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii/461115-black-rock-maui-night-do-i-need-guide.html

Scooter/shore diving in South Maui with Shaka Doug or Scubahawk is also really fun, but it's a 45-60 minute drive down there from Lahaina.

Blue water, great vis, and not being at work! Wherever you end up, it's better than 'normal life'!!

Have Fun!

Will do! Now I have to talk my wife into doing a night dive. I've been trying...and trying. I know she can handle it. Thanks!

The Manta Ray night dive is EPIC and truly not to be missed. Having wild but gentle creatures that are twice as wide as a person is tall swimming within inches of you, and then doing acrobatics in the water column, is thrilling. Add in the bright lights that look a bit like a laser show, and it's the rock concert of dives. It's also a great place for a first night dive, especially if you do the two-tank afternoon dive with the first dive at the same location as the night dive. (The afternoon/pre-sunset dive will get you acquainted with the reef in the area so you're more comfortable in the dark.) The manta dive is generally at one of two locations based on where people are seeing the rays; ours was at the airport location, and it was not very deep (40ish feet), warm, no current, no waves to speak of, and just a bit of surge rocking us back and forth now and then. We held onto heavy rocks to stay in place at the "fire pit" where the mantas congregate, and when we weren't trying to stay in one place we just let the surge push us along the reef a little. Easy peasey and appropriate for night diving beginners, IMHO.

We dove with Jack's Diving Locker and also give them an A+ rating. Keller Laros runs their Manta Ray specialty class, and he's the best. He's extremely knowledgeable, with thousands of dives to his name and an infectious love of manta rays and diving.

:cheerleader:We dove Jack's Diving Locker w Kellar Laros. There a big outfit, so lots of divers. But, they are organize and good fun crew. They group you to your level. I also did the Manta night dive. I seem to prefer diving the Kohala Coast rather than Kona. For Kohala Coast, I used Blue Wilderness Adventure. Back roll from a zodiac and homemade cookies. We we're the only two divers and they still took us out!
If you're going to Kauai, do a shore dive at Koloa Landing! We did some boats dives and shore dive at tunnels w Fathom 5 Divers. The only thing I didn't like about them is they took a long time to setup and wanted me to come to the shop everyday for my multi day diving to sign papers. I talked them into signing all the paperwork at the shop except for tunnels, they brought the paperwork to me:blinking: You can only dive tunnels in the summer do to trade winds. Also, if Jeannette is guiding you, you'll have a long bottom time! And the others guide it's between 45 to 60 mins, especially on boat dives. Have a great time in Hawaii. I need a job that have conferences on dive destination! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom