Novice diver coming back!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Francis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoard!

My name is Ryan, I am from Oklahoma and I was first introduced to diving in middle school by my father who was a divemaster at the time. He spoiled me right out of the gates by doing my open water cert. with the local dive shop instructors in Bonaire, making most lake dives thereafter a little painful. I truthfully have not been diving in more than 8 years as college and the like takes most of the time and money but I have finally made my way back!

I now have moved to Boston, MA and am working in corporate finance where real life has finally given me back spare time and spare cash and I am more amped than ever to get back to the sport that I love! I have yet to get all of my equipment purchased as I look for a reputable dive shop nearby to take up with, but I can't wait to get my hands on all things Scubapro, especially that G2 dive computer wowza!

I have probably only logged 20 or so dives in my life but I can't wait to get that number into the thousands as I get older. A few of the things I really enjoyed in my limited experience were some cave dives and wreck dives (off the books of course "shhh!") and photography underwater is something that is near and dear to me as that was one of the neatest things about diving to me. Getting together with the group after the day was over and watching the videos and going over cool shots etc. Now that I am well into my 20's, I am sure there is more fun to be had as well with the group after the days are done too *Cue some beers*!

Anyways, I am looking forward to connecting with divers in the area and hopefully the global community here at ScubaBoard and out on my travels! Pleasure to find a spot where divers connect and I hope you all will have me.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...I'm sure you'll make it down here sooner or later.

Welcome Ryan: Welcome to ScubaBoard. A wonderful place to spend time when not diving.

Welcome aboard! There's so much to see and dive in the world. Glad you've already had the pleasure of Bonaire. A couple of observations in response to your post:

1.) Scuba Pro is a reputable brand name manufacturer and puts out some good stuff. It is not the only such manufacturer, and it may be worth your time and effort to explore some alternatives for some things. But a Scuba Pro setup should work fine for you. Of course, if you get into cave diving, I suspect you'll end up in a back plate/wing setup.

2.) If you intend to continue cave diving, please get the training and certification to do so competently and rightly. A number of people on Scuba Board are properly trained and love cave diving; a number of others, like me, lack such essentials and could easily find them death traps.

Richard.

Welcome aboard! There's so much to see and dive in the world. Glad you've already had the pleasure of Bonaire. A couple of observations in response to your post:

1.) Scuba Pro is a reputable brand name manufacturer and puts out some good stuff. It is not the only such manufacturer, and it may be worth your time and effort to explore some alternatives for some things. But a Scuba Pro setup should work fine for you. Of course, if you get into cave diving, I suspect you'll end up in a back plate/wing setup.

2.) If you intend to continue cave diving, please get the training and certification to do so competently and rightly. A number of people on Scuba Board are properly trained and love cave diving; a number of others, like me, lack such essentials and could easily find them death traps.

Richard.

Hey Richard, appreciate the advice and response! I definitely intend to get all the proper certs. as I pick back up scuba diving and am very excited for the multiple classes. On the brand response, I do branch out from time to time but I have found an excellent brand, I think, in terms of quality, reliability, and customer service in Scubapro. I do like Shearwater for my dive computer, planning on picking up the Perdix AI soon!

Back
Top Bottom