O-Ring responsiblity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It probably is not a good idea to buy more than 10 or so cylinder o-rings. They are made out of materials that will degrade from exposure to heat, ozone, and other common chemicals. Unless you are expecting to go through a lot of them, suach as a VIP inspector would, you really don't need that many spares. It's not like they pop out of the valve after every dive.

It probably is not a good idea to buy more than 10 or so cylinder o-rings. They are made out of materials that will degrade from exposure to heat, ozone, and other common chemicals. Unless you are expecting to go through a lot of them, suach as a VIP inspector would, you really don't need that many spares. It's not like they pop out of the valve after every dive.

While that's true about shelf life of an O-ring, it's also probably longer than you might think if stored correctly.

Also, I find that it's by far lower cost to buy a hundred of them for a few dollars and toss the unused ones if I've had them too long.

Tank o-rings cost a but more, but other smaller one... very low cost.

However:
Having said it in another thread a while ago I suggested that one would probably be better off just paying the money at a dive shop for the one or two O-rings they might need as spare.

Every diver should carry, at least, a couple spare o-rings. Into the early '90s, there were 2 types used on US yoke valves. A thin ring and a slightly thicker one. Now-a-days, there are still 2 types. The "thin" o-ring has pretty much become the standard for all yoke-only valves. But the DIN/Yoke convertible valves use the same kind of o-ring used on DIN regulators. A very thick o-ring.

When you rent a tank, you should insist on checking the tank before you walk out of the shop. This way you know if you got a full tank, and if the o-ring is good. If you discover any problem before you leave the shop, they can fix it for you.

But o-rings can fall out or get chewed up in the process of transporting and setting up your gear. Every diver should be prepared with at least a couple replacement o-rings.

As far as "can I buy them at a hardware store?" --No. I don't believe that o-rings of the correct specifications are available anywhere except at scuba shops or safety equipment dealers that supply O2 or breathing equipment.

o-rings are cheap. Buy them from your LDS or from an on-line scuba dealer.

Every diver should carry, at least, a couple spare o-rings. Into the early '90s, there were 2 types used on US yoke valves. A thin ring and a slightly thicker one. Now-a-days, there are still 2 types. The "thin" o-ring has pretty much become the standard for all yoke-only valves. But the DIN/Yoke convertible valves use the same kind of o-ring used on DIN regulators. A very thick o-ring.

When you rent a tank, you should insist on checking the tank before you walk out of the shop. This way you know if you got a full tank, and if the o-ring is good. If you discover any problem before you leave the shop, they can fix it for you.

But o-rings can fall out or get chewed up in the process of transporting and setting up your gear. Every diver should be prepared with at least a couple replacement o-rings.

As far as "can I buy them at a hardware store?" --No. I don't believe that o-rings of the correct specifications are available anywhere except at scuba shops or safety equipment dealers that supply O2 or breathing equipment.

o-rings are cheap. Buy them from your LDS or from an on-line scuba dealer.

There's no magic to 'em.

Hydraulic shops have buna O'Rings in just about any size you want. They may have a selection of different durometers, too.

If one needs a couple I agree, hit the dive shop. If one needs several get 'em online available from many different places.

and.....
if you need an oring for a Salvo or Halcyon 9 amp canister, I have plenty. I'll send it to you almost free. You supply me with a SASE and I'll send one. I ordered too many. :D

If an O-Ring is bad, should it not be the dive shop's responsibility to give you a good one?

Yes, the shop is responsible for renting you working equipment. But it pays to have a few extra o-rings of your own in your save-a-dive kit, because if that o-ring goes once you're out the door, it's not the shop that's out a dive.

Yes, the shop is responsible for renting you working equipment. But it pays to have a few extra o-rings of your own in your save-a-dive kit, because if that o-ring goes once you're out the door, it's not the shop that's out a dive.

Yup. I carry a few even on boat dives where they supply the tanks. Cheap insurance policy. I've never had to use one of my own, but you never know.

You can probably pick up a packet with a few of the right size at Home Depot for a buck.

Actually there are a few folks selling scuba oring kits on ebay for well under ten bucks. I think it's pretty cheap insurance. I figure that using one ring from the kit saving a dive makes it worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom