O-Ring responsiblity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheapest I found was $.02 each (50 for $1) for the 2-014, Buna, duro70). I don't know why shops don't hand out one with each purchase. I bought a bag and have then attached to every one of my tank valve covers and every 1st stage cover, and a few more in my save-a-dive kit. I have saved a few folks dives with them. The difference between a good o-ring and a bad o-ring may be one more cycle or even just a temperamental 1st stage fitting. Always carry spares and something to dig the old one out.

http://www.aoptec.com/oringsonlinefset.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know about keeping them on the cap of the tank, or the first stage, but you should have more then just the valve orings.

never hurts to carry extra port plugs and port plug orings, orings for each end of your hoses, swivel pin orings, and the such.

trident sells a nice kit with the assortment of orings, or i have a kit from atezza divers ( not sure if this is spelled right ) but it came in a nice little plastic case. it ie not three years old and the orings are in perfect shape. and like others have said, i have saved quite a few peoples dives with them.

so much i have been offered 5 or 10 dollars for a 2cent oring, which i have gracefully declined. i would rather have someone repay me the favor of a much needed oring, then have some money. i hope the what goes around comes around works out in my favor

... I believe it's the shop responsibility to provide you with functional equipment when you rent. But do yourself a favor, check your tanks at the shop and always bring spare o-rings with you when you go diving. You never know when you'll need them.

In one of my first dive I've been in that situation, faulty o-ring and no spare, and it sucked! We had to do a 25 minutes drive just to go buy a o-ring kit (which I now ALWAYS carry with me when I go diving) and then 25 minutes to go back to the site. But it could had been worse, we sometime dive at least one hour away from the closest dive shop.

ther is no " i believe it is the shops responsiability ", it is the shops responsiability. they should check the gear before they give it to use to use. if your shop is not doing this, and you have a problem with this on a regular basis, i would look for a new shop, or bring it to someone attention.

ther is no " i believe it is the shops responsiability ", it is the shops responsiability. they should check the gear before they give it to use to use.

There's the ideal situation, and then there's reality. As a certified diver, you're responsible for making sure to the best of your ability that your equipment works as expected. And in an industry where it's not at all uncommon for rental gear to be old, worn and abused, it just makes good sense not to rely on the shop's own diligence for something you can easily check yourself.

When I was certified, I was taught to carefully check every piece of equipment before walking out the door. While a shop that's negligent or careless doesn't deserve your business, mistakes do happen even at the best of shops, and at the end of the day, you're the one diving the gear, not them.

When I rent, this is typically what I do:

1. Check the tank's VIS and Hydro date.
2. Examine the valve o-ring.
3. Hook up the tank to the regulator and check pressure (short fills happen). This also tests the SPG.
4. Listen for leaks around the valve or from the first/second stages/hoses.
5. Breathe the primary reg and octo.
6. Hook up the BC (checks buckles), inflator and fill up the BC/wing. Squeeze the bladder to make sure it's not leaking. Dump gas through power inflator and other dumps.

I've gotten bum rental equipment before from good shops, and if you catch this at the store, they find a replacement for you immediately. It adds maybe 5 minutes to the rental process, but is good peace of mind. Besides, while I appreciate that it's the shop's responsibility to rent good gear, it's my own responsibility to care for my safety and wellbeing, and that priority and responsibility trumps the shop's any day.

I agree that rental equipment should be provided i tip top condition for diving (in this instance the o-ring). However I love the quote at the bottom of snowflake2747:  "think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that!" Wise words indeed. Ultimately it is your responsibility to check your equipment before you dive. As much as any reputable shop will endevour to make sure your equipment is correct, dont leave it to chance. for eg. the poor DMT etc may have had a busy day and accidently forgotten something. The prudent diver carries spares. Purely because there is nothing worse than missing a dive when your mates are heckling at you! As an mechanical engineer I buy o-rings from an engineering supplier as opposed to a general hardware store. O-rings too are subject to cheap standards and manufacturing processes like any other consumer product. Get them from your local dive shop and you will be fine.
I have seen many divers check the o-ring is there, but not many actually check the condition of the o-ring itself. Inspect for perishing, cracking or any other signs of stress, if in doubt... change it. Good luck.

i work at a shop and we make sure the equipment works before sending it out the door. but you are right, it might work when you test it and not work at the dive site. we had a girl go to honduras with us and dive. she came home and went to lake rawlings that weekend and used the same gear, and now the octo was freeflowing just a bit. she never gave it back to us in the days between the two trips, all i can says it damn airport baggage handlers.

i dont know if that had anything to do with it or not, but they will work one day and maybe not the next

ther is no " i believe it is the shops responsiability ", it is the shops responsiability. they should check the gear before they give it to use to use. if your shop is not doing this, and you have a problem with this on a regular basis, i would look for a new shop, or bring it to someone attention.

chit happens.. the Oring could have been brand new out the door. Perhaps the Oring got pinched, the first stage put on a little loose or any number of things that could cause it to fail.

It's life and as divers we can't whine about it, only prepare for these very, very minor issues. I say minor because it's so damn easy to carry a few spare o-rings any time we dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom