O Rings blowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinnydav

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am blowing O rings on yoke valved tanks at an alarming rate. Not all the time, but when it happens I can go through several o rings. Sometime they go when I open the tank valve other times after the regulator has been pressurized for several minutes. This is happening with one of my regs but on different tanks, and not all the time. The part of the reg that seats into the tank valve has no burrs or visible deformatites.
Any help will be appreciated. My next step is to bring the reg and one of my tanks into my LDS for an inspection.

What reg might you be using just out of curiosity? My GF has a Mares Abyss 22 that hate Orings like you would not believe. It is no longer the case since she had it modified DIN to accommodate her newly acquired HP steel tanks. She has had no problem diving yoke valve tanks using an adapter.

Would tightening down the first stage to much cause them to deform and bust???

I am blowing O rings on yoke valved tanks at an alarming rate. Not all the time, but when it happens I can go through several o rings. Sometime they go when I open the tank valve other times after the regulator has been pressurized for several minutes. This is happening with one of my regs but on different tanks, and not all the time. The part of the reg that seats into the tank valve has no burrs or visible deformatites.
Any help will be appreciated. My next step is to bring the reg and one of my tanks into my LDS for an inspection.

You wouldnt by chance have Thremo valves with the yoke insert in them? I was having the same issue and I read something on the Thermo websited about it you may want to check it out. Yoke Expansion this could also be true of other valves that have the insert for yoke from DIN

What reg might you be using just out of curiosity? My GF has a Mares Abyss 22 that hate Orings like you would not believe. It is no longer the case since she had it modified DIN to accommodate her newly acquired HP steel tanks. She has had no problem diving yoke valve tanks using an adapter.

I am using an Aqualung SEA regulator>

Does this always happen on the same cylinder, or is it consistent on varied cylinders?

Very interesting.
Don't forget to bring some of your O-rings along.
Have you tried other brand/batch of O-ring on that particular reg?

Does this always happen on the same cylinder, or is it consistent on varied cylinders?

The only constant is the regulator, it happens on different cylinders - my own, rented or borrowed.

Look very closely at your yoke. A slightly bent yoke can do some really strange things but is difficult to see unless you are really looking for it. It only takes a few degrees of bend to cause problems with oring seating.

D i n

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom