O Rings blowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen this before a few times. On occasion, the sealing surface of the regulator inlet can be damaged in a way that isn't immediately obvious. In one case, a tank with theregulator already mounted on it fell over and struck the first stage on thedeck. This knocked the inlet very slightly out of round. You can remove theyoke and stand the regulator inlet on a flat surface to check for anydeformations.

Sounds like a regulator issue to me by process of elimination

Most likely....

Unless all the 0-rings are from the same batch? Rule out bad 0-rings by trying some from a different source. (It still sounds like a reg issue though).

Over-tightening can be a contributor, but unlikely. A less than obvious flaw or deformity in the first stage is the most likely culprit. Try applying very small amount of silicon grease to the face of the o ring before mounting. On occasion I have had this be helpful. Emphasis on very small.
DivemasterDennis

I had a couple aluminum tanks and after having a few o-rings actually just fall out I thought I knew better than the manufacturer of
what size would be better. well, the o-ring seemed to stay in place better but would blow from time to time. I was actually over-stretching
an undersized o-ring making it more likely to blow. Just making the point they have skinnier o-rings in very close sizes to one another
and if you get the wrong one it can make a difference. I've had no problems with my thermo valve o-rings. I did have one pop just the other day
and realized it had been in there for a very long time. Upon removal it was quite deteriorated. It's one thing that is over looked many times but
I'll be taking a quick look a bit more often after this. I replaced the o-ring on other tank at same time and it was just as deteriorated. Okay, enough
about me...I have heard of rare cases where the collar gets distorted after dropping a tank onto the first stage and can be an ongoing problem.

Are the o-rings failing at the same spot? Either way, likely the sealing land is out of round or too narrow. Either way, the owing isn't getting captured sufficiently. A dimensional check of the sealing land is warranted.

If the reg is relatively new then it probably wasn't machined correctly. If it isn't new them likely it was torqued or bent out of alignment. Seen similar occurrences on hydraulic systems.

I second taking it to a knowledgable shop/diver for inspection. And I third or fourth checking the o-rings are the right size, so if possible take the tanks and o-rings with you. If you were diving with a shop and they couldn't solve the problem maybe go elsewhere or contact the reg's manufacturer to get a reccommendation on who to take it to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom