O Rings blowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet Herman has it right with a yoke deformity or (less likely) an imperfection in the yoke retainer seating surface. That's less likely because it would be more noticeable to see and feel; like a ding or a burr. What's almost certainly happening is that the regulator is moving on the tank valve when pressurized, and the alignment between the valve face and regulator yoke retainer gets thrown off, which allows the o-ring to extrude and fail. Lubricating the o-ring is only likely to make this worse, BTW.

I'm afraid it probably means a new yoke. One of my old US Divers doublehose regs had this exact problem; I'm not sure how the yoke on your aqualung compares with the older USD yokes. You could get a DIN fitting, but then you'd be forced to use a yoke adapter with yoke tanks, and that's a pain in the neck, literally.

Since the problem is occurring with a variety of tanks, the problem is in the regulator, not the tanks or o-rings. It's probably just worse with some tanks than with others.

I have same exact problem with my genesis 2000 yoke. 4 months of issues and 3 blown 0-rings. Took it to the dive shop multiple times and they could not find anything wrong. Right now theory is that my yoke adapter is slightly bent. I have no idea how that could have happened. I always take great care of my gear and my stuff is ALWAYS on top of every one else's bag in my truck. I never had my tanks fall on me so I am completely puzzled. Dive shop ordered new yoke adapter and if that does not work then I am afraid I will have to go ahead and buy new first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom