Oceanic Computers being Discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, thank you for taking the time to ask them the question and post back!

1. There is mystery here.

2. I am sure that AL wants to keep its newly acquired factory busy with making computers for as many potential OEM clients as possible as others do with their regulator factories.

3. I didn't get the impression from the discussions I had with Oceanic during this past DEMA that there will be any new computers.

BTW, did you mean OCi or OCL? I can only find an "OCi" computer not an "OCL" on Oceanic's website.
You are welcome! I know them fairly well and I was bugging them about my OCi. I've sent it in to get it re-calibrated back in Dec and I still haven't got it back yet. I am not too happy about it.

Anyway, here is the link for OCL:
OCL

I would not be surprised if Oceanic will not be coming out with new DC line. OCL was announced a year or two ago prior to the sale of PPS.

I can't find anything about it on the Internet!!!
Capture.PNG

Anyway, here is the link for OCL:
OCL

OMG, I must need glasses!!!

I don't see the advantage of this computer with its much higher price over the GEO2.

Did you notice this part in the product description?

"* There is no download cable available for the OCL and it is therefore not compatible with dive log software. "

OMG, I must need glasses!!!

I don't see the advantage of this computer with its much higher price over the GEO2.

Did you notice this part in the product description?

"* There is no download cable available for the OCL and it is therefore not compatible with dive log software. "
Hahaha. We all have those moments where we tend to overlook some stuff.

Aside from the cable, it is also completely sealed on the back. So instead of changing out the battery yourself which you can do on a Geo 2.0, now you will have to take it back to LDS and get the battery change done.

Hahaha. We all have those moments where we tend to overlook some stuff.

Aside from the cable, it is also completely sealed on the back. So instead of changing out the battery yourself which you can do on a Geo 2.0, now you will have to take it back to LDS and get the battery change done.

Not true - you can check the manual which explains how to change it. Battery is user replaceable. Changing the battery is easy but you do need a small screwdriver whereas with the Geo you can use a coin. I paid less than Geo MSRP. Really no downside compared to Geo if you can get it at the right price but a couple of pluses - size and looks. Those may matter to you or they don't...

Not true - you can check the manual which explains how to change it. Battery is user replaceable. Changing the battery is easy but you do need a small screwdriver whereas with the Geo you can use a coin. I paid less than Geo MSRP. Really no downside compared to Geo if you can get it at the right price but a couple of pluses - size and looks. Those may matter to you or they don't...

But still no data cable and no download capability?? Very strange not to be able to download the log at this price point.

Shortly after AUP sold PPS to Aqua Lung in May 2015, I contacted Oceanic via the manufacturer's forum to ask about the future of their computers. At that time, they implied that Oceanic computers would continue to be manufactured by PPS for the foreseeable future Pelagic Pressure Systems acquistion by Aqua Lung Doug Krause has not been on SB since August 2015 and his username no longer appears, not sure anyone from Oceanic is on SB now.

There have been several discontinuations and introductions since PPS changed hands. The VT line was discontinued (VT4.1 the last) and recently, the Veo 1.0 and 3.0 were discontinued, leaving only the Veo 2.0 in that line. The ProPlus X was relatively recently added to the lineup.

It does appear that some Oceanic computers are "out of stock" and/or "discontinued stock" on some online sites. I'm not at all sure what, if anything, this means. Sure wish I knew more, have been using Oceanic computers since 2002.

The OCi and OCL batteries can be user replaced but factory replacement and pressure testing is "recommended". The OCi and OCL have a 4 screw backs as opposed to the simple twist off cover of the Atom 3.1 and Geo 2.0.

I also think it is bizarre that the OCL cannot be downloaded.

Who the heck would sell a $600 dive computer these days lacking download capabilities? That's just freaking insane.

I also think it is bizarre that the OCL cannot be downloaded.

Who the heck would sell a $600 dive computer these days lacking download capabilities? That's just freaking insane.

Maybe it requires a special cable they don't have now and it should be coming down the line?? It is just very strange that it doesn't have download capability at this price.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom