Oceanic Pro Plus 2 vs Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased a Pro Plus 2, and am considering a quick connect. What is the reason for the quick connect? Advantage or disadvantage. I just returned my VT Pro after a 2 week dive in Kona, and it was not workinig properly in that it lost transmission of tank pressure remianing on every dive. I like the fact the Pro Plus gives the same infomration, but I do not have to rely on the wireless tramission. Thanks

Advantage- You can easily bring in and connect to download log using PC
Advantage- You can carry with you when travelling
Disadvantage- Another area to service

On another note, Did you return for credit or replace the VT Pro? Let me know if we (Oceanic) can help at all.

I am using the Cobra and Vytec DS. I like the GUI and their menus as they are intuitive to me. The display is a single display with all of the info I need at a glance.

The Cobra has a quick disconnect which for any AI computer I would reccomend getting as then you can store them separately from the reg (reg gets checked in while I carry the computer on board the plane) and it makes it easier to download as you do not need to schelp the reg around with you.

I have talked with Suunto/Aqualung reps with questions and they have been responsive.

Also you can download the data to mac using a third party app called DiveLog. It is in version 1 so while it gets the basic info for your log book it stills need some perfecting. Which guy working on it is pretty responsive as well.

I have not used any of Oceanic's computer products. But when I called about an old Datamax II they were super responsive to my questions. In fact they are very generous with trade ins for these. Even for the ones they manufactured for other brands. You can not beat that.

My personal suggestion is get your hands on both and play with them as both are good products from good companies.

Scared Silly:
Also you can download the data to mac using a third party app called DiveLog.
Be aware that DiveLog does not display nitrogen loading bar graphs as part of dive profile displays, while the Suunto Dive Manager program does.

This display is the clinching feature for me. It allows me to watch the various tissue compartments on-gas and off-gas during a dive and how nitrogen loads build up during repetitive dives, bringing me closer and closer to the NDLs. In comparison, dive tables seem like technical abstractions.

Rozzi:
Have narrowed my search to these two integrated computers. I have no idea which one to choose. I like the larger display on the Oceanic, but 'm not sure if it has a quick release which I think is important. I'm not very experienced but would like a computer that I can grow with as I expect to dive A LOT more in the future. Any comments from this forum would be welcome.

I have three Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus, the forerunner to the Pro Plus II. MY wife, son and I have probably made several hundred dives with them and they work great. I simply put in a new battery once a year and keep going.

I was in Cozumel in April with two new divers that had never been in saltwater. After a few minutes of review they had the fundamentals down. They liked the big screen and after a week they were experts in its use.

I also have a Vyper and it would go in deco on many of the dives that wouldn't even put the Oceanic's in the yellow.

I am replacing the VT Pro with this Pro Plus 2 from my local dealer. Thanks for the response, I will have the quick disconnect installed with the new computer. Mike

Jim Baldwin:
I also have a Vyper and it would go in deco on many of the dives that wouldn't even put the Oceanic's in the yellow.
This suggests you KNOW which one is right. If so, how DO you know?

Has anybody just sat on the bottom with tables and a bunch of computers in their lap, doing a perfectly square profile? What's the result of a basic test like this?

BigTuna:
This suggests you KNOW which one is right. If so, how DO you know?

Has anybody just sat on the bottom with tables and a bunch of computers in their lap, doing a perfectly square profile? What's the result of a basic test like this?

He still lives to tell the story................

Back
Top Bottom