Oceanic VT3 / Aeris Elite T3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checking out the Sol. . . Do you know where those pix come from? Is that a feature you use?

Sorry for hijack............
Those particular pics are from the owners manual. They're meant to illustrate the Sol's ability to display grey-scale bitmap (.BMP) pics. You could use just about any draw program that can save a file in the .BMP format to make a map and then upload it and view it either topside or underwater. It's a neat feature, but my wife has yet to use it.

I know this probably doesn't matter to OP, but be advised that the Oceanic VT3 does not calculate decompression stops deeper than 60 feet.

I know this probably doesn't matter to OP, but be advised that the Oceanic VT3 does not calculate decompression stops deeper than 60 feet.

Maybe I'm not understanding your point here because I and a buddy both dive the VT3 and we went into DECO at 105 feet. The VT3 then helped us get out of DECO back to the surface with DECO safety stops.

Am I missing something?

MG

Did the VT3 give you an actual deco "stop" deeper than 60 feet? Unless I misread the Oceanic manual and the Scuba Diving Magazine computer tables that gave different computer's capabilities to calculate stops, the VT3 will not give you and actual stop deeper than 60 feet once the computer goes into deco. Maybe its just a butt covering exercise by Oceanic.

Technically what the manual says is that the VT3 cannot calculate Deco times for Deco Stops much greater than 60ft. Normally when we violate NDL's, the VT3 goes into Deco Mode and tells us at what depth and for how long we need to stop to decompress. Since the VT3 can only calculate Deco Stop times for dives that would require a Deco Stop depth of 60ft or less, you're S.O.L. if you violate the NDL in a way that would require a Deco Stop at a depth greater than 60ft. The VT3 is simply going to start flashing the TLBG and tell you to ascend to 60ft. Then you're stuck waiting at 60ft until the TLBG stops flashing, however long that may be, and you're told to ascend to another depth. Better hope you have the gas to wait it out.

So, basically, pay attention to what the heck you're doing and avoid decompression diving. I stick strictly to non-deco divingso far, so I think I'd be ok with the VT3 or T3.

Maybe someday I'll try the deco-diving thing, but so far there hasn't been anything I've wanted to do that I couldn't do with non-deco limits as a guide.

DS

While I do agree that we, as recreational divers, should stay within the NDL's, one of the benefits of using a computer, especially an air-integrated one, over a table is that if that rare need dictates, you can safely exceed the NDL's. With a table, if you exceed the NDL you're stuck with a minimum 8 min. safety stop and 6 hours out of the water. With a computer the rule is always clear your computer (as long as you have the gas to do it). If you follow the computers Deco Stop requirement you can be reasonably certain that you're staying within safe nitrogen or O2 levels. And you'll be able to go on a repetitive dive that will be based on the usual SI time.

The VT3/T3 is a great computer and if you apply what you know about diving and dive planning to it's capabilities, you get an indispensable tool for a rec. diver.

While I do agree that we, as recreational divers, should stay within the NDL's, one of the benefits of using a computer, especially an air-integrated one, over a table is that if that rare need dictates, you can safely exceed the NDL's. With a table, if you exceed the NDL you're stuck with a minimum 8 min. safety stop and 6 hours out of the water. With a computer the rule is always clear your computer (as long as you have the gas to do it). If you follow the computers Deco Stop requirement you can be reasonably certain that you're staying within safe nitrogen or O2 levels. And you'll be able to go on a repetitive dive that will be based on the usual SI time.

The VT3/T3 is a great computer and if you apply what you know about diving and dive planning to it's capabilities, you get an indispensable tool for a rec. diver.

Well said. An air integrated nitrox computer can be indispensable.

I'm kind of a DCS-phobe, so I try to keep well within the NDLs for air, while usually diving nitrox. Naturally, I watch the max depth for the nitrox. I dive the Aeris Atmos Ai now and have kept it out of deco. I figure that if I brush up to the edge of NDLs, I can clear the computer with safety stop(s) and still have the extra margin of safety.

I suppose I'm not getting the maximum usefulness out of the integrated nitrox capable computer, but I'm still having a ball diving! Besides, the way I go through air, it's not like I can stretch me bottom time any longer anyway:rofl3:.

DS

The 60 ft limit means that the maximum ceiling is 60 feet. Nothing beyond the ordinary happens when you exceed your NDL, other than a required deco stop. Your first ceiling is 10 feet - followed by 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60. Your deco obligation with a 60 ft ceiling would be several hours.

Thats fine as long as you don't want to incorporate deep stops into your plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom