Oceanic VT3 worth the $200 more than VT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will add a big NO to the debate over sync problems. Telling someone that a problem exists basically makes people think that the wireless feature doesn't work and is dangerous and that's incorrect. Maybe all three of your computers were broken. Of course I can't tell if that is the problem or if you were just paranoid about how the wireless feature works on a wireless dive computer. It sounds like you were paranoid to me a little. I type that with a smile and don't mean to attack you Don.

Let me be more specific for those who don't own or use a wireless computer. I own an aeris atmos elite, almost the same computer as the VT mentioned earlier. The wireless feature isn't like the wireless feature one gets with a wireless router and a home computer. In other words, If I stand between my computer and my router the signal doesn't break. I still get the internet, lol. This isn't the case with dive computers. If I put my hand down to my waist, with my body between/blocking the transmitter on the tank and the wrist computer, the signal may break but will instantly come back as soon as I raise my hand to look at my computer. Instantly. Only the air remaining signal breaks but comes back and continues to compute properly. The computer doesn't stop working just because the signal breaks for a few seconds. ALL dive computers currently using the wireless feature work like this as Don said. Even Suunto boys. I have seen it personally. SO, does it always hook back up? Yes. Does it always disconnect? No. Is it a big deal? NO. Is it a big deal if you get paranoid about it? Only if you are the paranoid type. Is it possible that Don Janni got three bad computers in a row?.....Yes.....Maybe...not likely...but still possible, and that would then be a problem that would be solved by his 4th VT Pro...maybe....probably. SO, this is how it works. Is it a problem? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.:D

All that said, if dive gear does make you paranoid then get rid of it like Don did. No reason to keep it if it doesn't make you personally comfy. Is it a problem if it makes you paranoid and keeps you from feeling safe or enjoying your dive? YES. That is a valid complaint! I also use a backup SPG with my wireless unit but don't really feel it is needed.

To answer the original question of is the VT3 worth $200 more than the VT Pro? I can answer that by saying that my Atmos Elite wireless computer was not worth the extra $350-$400 over the Atmos 2 (same without the wireless) for the addition of the wireless feature, lol. Forget the wireless computer and go with the Atmos 2 or similar model and go diving in Key Largo. That's about 6.5 (13 total dives) boat trips worth of money you will save. MHO only.

man, every time hose or hoseless come up it's as bad as a DIR or not question!

Bottom line some love hoseless, some hate hoseless, some have no view and some don't believe in computers.

Lets assume the OP wants a hoseless and stick to the question he asked which many of us have answered.

The VT Pro has worked for thousand of divers who truly enjoy it. Murphy got involved and one poster has 3 bad units, what can we do to make it better?

Best,

Chris

scubadobadoo:
I will add a big NO to the debate over sync problems. Telling someone that a problem exists basically makes people think that the wireless feature doesn't work and is dangerous and that's incorrect. Maybe all three of your computers were broken. Of course I can't tell if that is the problem or if you were just paranoid about how the wireless feature works on a wireless dive computer. It sounds like you were paranoid to me a little. I type that with a smile and don't mean to attack you Don.

Let me be more specific for those who don't own or use a wireless computer. I own an aeris atmos elite, almost the same computer as the VT mentioned earlier. The wireless feature isn't like the wireless feature one gets with a wireless router and a home computer. In other words, If I stand between my computer and my router the signal doesn't break. I still get the internet, lol. This isn't the case with dive computers. If I put my hand down to my waist, with my body between/blocking the transmitter on the tank and the wrist computer, the signal may break but will instantly come back as soon as I raise my hand to look at my computer. Instantly. Only the air remaining signal breaks but comes back and continues to compute properly. The computer doesn't stop working just because the signal breaks for a few seconds. ALL dive computers currently using the wireless feature work like this as Don said. Even Suunto boys. I have seen it personally. SO, does it always hook back up? Yes. Does it always disconnect? No. Is it a big deal? NO. Is it a big deal if you get paranoid about it? Only if you are the paranoid type. Is it possible that Don Janni got three bad computers in a row?.....Yes.....Maybe...not likely...but still possible, and that would then be a problem that would be solved by his 4th VT Pro...maybe....probably. SO, this is how it works. Is it a problem? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.:D

All that said, if dive gear does make you paranoid then get rid of it like Don did. No reason to keep it if it doesn't make you personally comfy. Is it a problem if it makes you paranoid and keeps you from feeling safe or enjoying your dive? YES. That is a valid complaint! I also use a backup SPG with my wireless unit but don't really feel it is needed.

Good point. My first post could imply a safety issue and I should have been more sensitive to that. That really was not my intent.

I tried to make that up in my second post. I even said a lot of divers see it as no big deal. As you do. It's probable that the design engineers expected sync loss from time to time.

Yet, the botton line is this... It does lose sync and I felt that fact was "skirted over" in the subsequent post by the use of a simple "no."

The engineers could design the issue out of the product. It might cost more but it can be done. That's why I thought the VT3 would be worth the investment if the sync issue is improved... not necessarily eliminated.

Don

Don Janni:
Good point. My first post could imply a safety issue and I should have been more sensitive to that. That really was not my intent.

I tried to make that up in my second post. I even said a lot of divers see it as no big deal. As you do. It's probable that the design engineers expected sync loss from time to time.

Yet, the botton line is this... It does lose sync and I felt that fact was "skirted over" in the subsequent post by the use of a simple "no."

The engineers could design the issue out of the product. It might cost more but it can be done. That's why I thought the VT3 would be worth the investment if the sync issue is improved... not necessarily eliminated.

Don

now it's a simple no(which it was), first you said it was an emphatic NO (which it wasn't):huh:

The sync is not perfect but nothing like in the early days when the tide phase messed with it. Now if it does lose sync it will require in a couple seconds and no problem. if it doesn't for the rest of the dive get it back to us and we'll take care of it. As far as as safety if you lose the sync for more than a few seconds call the dive or go to a b/up spg (which many also use) and computer, but never just continue the dive.

cerich:
man, every time hose or hoseless come up it's as bad as a DIR or not question!

Bottom line some love hoseless, some hate hoseless, some have no view and some don't believe in computers.

Lets assume the OP wants a hoseless and stick to the question he asked which many of us have answered.

The VT Pro has worked for thousand of divers who truly enjoy it. Murphy got involved and one poster has 3 bad units, what can we do to make it better?

Best,

Chris

Geez.... Chris there you go again. You're trying to say a sync loss is due to faulty equipment. If that's true Oceanic's QC process is in much need of improvement. Even scubadobadoo's VT Pro looses sync from time to time so I guess you're saying his is defective too.

I never meant to start a "is to" - "is not" diaglog here but I'll offer you some unsolicited advice... you would be a lot more believable if you said something like "under some circumstances the unit has been know to loos sync but this is rare."

To say "Murphy got involved and one poster has 3 bad units, what can we do to make it better?" is pretty cheezie in my opinion.

You want to make it better... send me a VT3 as a test unit. If I like it I'll send you the ProPlusII i took delivery on about 6 months ago. All my records are on file with your company and you have my name.

So put your money where your mouth is.

Correct me of I am wrong (frequently I am my wife says) but the sync loss is because the frequency (or some technical term) for underwater wireless to work requires that a direct contact be made (nothing blocking the transmitter from the body) and simply won't work underwater like a router and a computer will sync through a wall. Help? Do I make sense? Any tech genius out there can explain this simply? THANKS!!! Is it posssible to cheaply make the wireless unit always link without those tiny and infrequent losses UNDERWATER? Could it really work like a home computer and a router does at home? Through walls? Through SPACE AND TIME! AHHH AHHH AHHH!!! ??????

Don Janni:
Geez.... Chris there you go again. You're trying to say a sync loss is due to faulty equipment. If that's true Oceanic's QC process is in much need of improvement. Even scubadobadoo's VT Pro looses sync from time to time so I guess you're saying his is defective too.

I never meant to start a "is to" - "is not" diaglog here but I'll offer you some unsolicited advice... you would be a lot more believable if you said something like "under some circumstances the unit has been know to loos sync but this is rare."

To say "Murphy got involved and one poster has 3 bad units, what can we do to make it better?" is pretty cheezie in my opinion.

You want to make it better... send me a VT3 as a test unit. If I like it I'll send you the ProPlusII i took delivery on about 6 months ago. All my records are on file with your company and you have my name.

So put your money where your mouth is.

Why so hostile? As many have pointed out all brand of hoseless units have some sync issues, not just Oceanic. I also pointed out that it is common that the sync will drop for a few seconds, longer than that it is an issue.

We have the VT 3 being extensivly tested and not just by us, it will not ship until there are no problems. That is now the company mandate.

Drop me a PM on how much you can dive a VT3 over the next month or so, we are hoping for more than 2 dives a day(I had 5 sent to Cayman where they are getting 4-6 dives a day in all modes)

Let me know.

Best,

Chris

scubadobadoo:
Correct me of I am wrong (frequently I am my wife says) but the sync loss is because the frequency (or some technical term) for underwater wireless to work requires that a direct contact be made (nothing blocking the transmitter from the body) and simply won't work underwater like a router and a computer will sync through a wall. Help? Do I make sense? Any tech genius out there can explain this simply? THANKS!!! Is it posssible to cheaply make the wireless unit always link without those tiny and infrequent losses UNDERWATER? Could it really work like a home computer and a router does at home? Through walls? Through SPACE AND TIME! lol!!! ??????

Does your wife know mine???

Sure it can work "Through walls? Through SPACE AND TIME!" Submarines talk via duplexed communications systems from hundreds of miles. Pictures can be transmitted from depths of thousands of feet. The transmitter/receiver in these hoseless units will hardly reach 5 feet and be sure not to put a semi hard object in between; i.e., your body.

I messed around with 3 VTPros over the course of about 10 months so obviously I wanted a hoseless unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom