October recommendations required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the last couple of months, I went to Sipadan (Borneo) and Komodo (Indonesia) and Koh Tao certainly does not come anywhere close. Many people have already mentioned Sipadan so I won't repeat that. Komodo is definitely worth going although it is a little far. The coral reef is prestine, lots of macro stuff (not unlike Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai). It does not have the big school of fish/turtles and reefsharks like Sipadan but 2 things that are common there that Sipadan does not have are mantas and pygmy seahorse.
There are some live aboard that leave from Bali for Komodo or you can fly from Bali to Labuan Bajo or Bima and get on a boat from there. I use the Grand Komodo. You can check their schedule at www.komodoalordive.com . I think they have all year round trips to Komodo, Alor and Irian Jaya. I plan to go on one of their trip to Irian Jaya next year.
As far as Thailand goes, October is a little early for Similan/Burma Bank. Most live aboard starts their trips in November, I think.
Some local operators in Phuket will offer diving around Phuket, Phi Phi all year round so that might be an alternative, if you just want to do a quick 3-4 days dive.
I usually go with Panunee for Similan and will go with them to Burma Bank in a few months but they don't have anything scheuduled in October.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom