Octopus Holder Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc:
I recently got one of those yellow ball octopus holder gizmos. I've noticed that when I'm doing my surface swims, the octopus seems to free flow a little. I think it's because the ball orients the regulator upside down, which naturally causes a free flow. ...Anyone know what's going on?

I too dive a yellow all octopus holder. Had the same problem. Cause appears to b trapped air in the ball and the pressure of being underwater just an inch or two resulting in a low pressure zone on the mouthpice side of the octopus which causes it to supply air. Solution, I got a hole punch and punched a hole in the top of the holder. Problem solved.

Did the same thing with mine and my girl friends holders and have no problems. As far as it being secure...I have never had a problem with mine bumping out.

say, I do like that necklace you have on that reg. I may do that.

R.

MaxBottomtime:
I guess I'll be the first :D
http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/backup_reg_attach_r.jpeg
It really is a simple solution. It keeps the octo out of the sand, you know right away if it's free-flowing and you always know where it is when you need it. I think the two main problems are people's reluctance to change and the "you're a moron" attitude of a few DIR zealots. Give it a try and I think you'll agree that it is a much better solution than a scumball. One suggestion though. I prefer to use 1/8" bungee instead of surgical tubing. The rubber tubing tends to dry out in only a few months.

pasley:
Solution, I got a hole punch and punched a hole in the top of the holder. Problem solved.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Thanks.

lal7176:
Wasn't she GI's girlfriend or something like that? If so, one lucky dude :eyebrow:

"WAS" is the accurate word. He's no longer with her, and in fact married someone else.

mccabejc:
I think it's because the ball orients the regulator upside down, which naturally causes a free flow.
Once in the water remove, flood and then replace the regulator in the ball. The problem is when there's a little air in the reg, it bubbles out, and as it bubbles out the regulator does its job and replaces it.

If it's completely flooded, nothing will come out and it won't freeflow.

Roak (from the bungied second group, but sticking to the question)

yes, the bungee neclace works perfectly. the key to the neclace is that the loop holding the octopus should be just right , that you may easily pull it off , yet not too loose that it may let go of the octo in just slight force .

Adjust the loop to attain the correct size for securing the octo and for its easy deployment. That is for Recreational divng. For technical, then the neclace should secure the octo. for clarification .. :eek:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom