Octopus Rodeos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to HI and have been looking at videos online for ideas. I've seen two videos already where divers actively dig with either a metal reef hook or their hands into coral rubble in order to pull octopus hidden underneath out by the arm. The octopus have been inking like crazy to the point that the ink turns brown rather than black because they are losing the ability to continue. One of these people was supposedly a very experienced diver who volunteered in ocean conservation. Another was a student, however, they were being supervised as they did this.

Does anyone know if these are isolated incidents or is this a common type of dive behavior in HI. I'm very hesitant to plan a trip there if this is something dive professionals condone. I've been diving all over the world for the past 10 years, almost exclusively in third world countries, and I've never seen anything close to this type of marine life harassment. I'm hoping someone can tell me these are isolated incidents and not the type of behavior I can look forward to seeing if I plan a trip there.

Thanks for any feedback.

Before my first trip to Hawaii I received a video from a shop near where they do the manta night dive. In the video divers were making octopus ink and holding eels. I went with a different operation.

I hope the eel bit them - Ugh... thank you for the reply. When you dove with the different op, were you happy with how they treated the marine life and didn't go dragging through the bottom etc as was in the videos I saw? I'm just hoping there are some bad ones to totally avoid and I can scope them out before I get there.

On Maui, I have no reservations about recommending Mike Severns Diving (Kihei) or Extended Horizons (Lahaina)
Both staffs are composed of naturalists who know better.

I'll admit to doing this in Mexico however if if have been able to get him out he would have been ceviche I now have more respect for a large octopuses strength.

Hell no. Ed Robinson's has a DM famous for digging out octos. Happened when I was with them and I won't go back.

Why doesn't this ever come to the attention of PADI? There should be consequences I would think...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom