Ok Dudes and Dudettes...DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2-3 hours?!

Just how much, practical, openwater experince do you have when you get your card?

2-3 hours.. tops. 5-6 dives of 20-30 minutes each. Do you log your pool dives? Didn't think so.

Class room time is a joke too. Mind you, I don't think the short class time is that bad. Your tpical diver dousn't need to recite gas laws for rote or know what a moule is.

They just need the pratical effects of all that, like not leaving a full tank in a hot car trunk in the sun.

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

Reasonable goal, yes. What was your max depth? I know a diver who deepest cert dive was 25 feet in a quarry, yet got a C-card certifying him to 60 feet????

My training sounds like it was similar to yours (Also did it at Toby). Gradually deeper dives to a max of 55 feet. How many dives since, how soon after did you next dive? How many and how long since cert?

But they reasoned that if you get actively involved while the training is fresh, in the long term you will remember more and have better skills.

controlled ascent. If you've never done an straight up ascent from 50 feet, with no guideline, you should try it. At the 25 foot mark, when viz isn't much more, maintaing your ascent rate and keeping contact with your buddy is not such an easy task.

In order... Max depth: 45', and that was actually on our first dive. Mind you, on that dive we were about as tightly supervised as possible. One buddy pair of new divers, one buddy-pair of instructors, while the assistant-instructors kept herd on the rest of the class in a shallow (15'?) area.

The other dives were 25', 30' and 40'. And theoretically my C-card says I'm good down to 120'. Yeah, right.

It was a long time until I did the next couple of dives, and a longer time since until I went again. Fortunately I was able to join up with the same instructor again for a few sessions of review before going back out.

I blame the big gap on (well, other than myself not persuing the sport rigorously) student-budgets, and an artefact of when/how the course was taught... It was taught through the recreation program at the university, not a LDS or club. So when I wanted to go diving again after the course finished, I didn't know anyone in town to go with, the people I'd done the course with having graduated, or otherwise gone out of cotact.

And I'd agree about early and frequent post-training diving being good for you. Essentially, I see that as one of the biggest benefits of a longer course... Most of the basics are covered in the first couple of sessions, and later sessions help you practice and reinforce those skills in a more supervised environment.

Heh. I still consider ascents the hardest part of a dive. Up until about 15' it's all pretty good, and holding the 15' stop is fine. But the last little bit tends to be pretty jerky... Either I end up letting out too much air, and have to swim up, or else the ascent gets a bit out-of-control, which usually leads back to dumping too much air...

Mostly a practice thing I hope. Learning to balance letting air out with rate of ascent. <grin> That or a good engineering project... Hey, I've got a project course in 4th year...

Jamie

Bubble Boy once bubbled...
Any water skill development will help you in your diving. Find a club or store sponsored group that is doing some activities to help with your ongoing learning. Some of the divers on this board in the Brockville, Cornwall and Ottawa areas are playing underwater hockey and that helps them keep up the snorkelling skills over the winter.

Even if you dont want to dive in the winter months find a dive club or local dive store that is going out to do an ice dive and just watch and learn. I am sure they would welcome you with open arms and even pass you a shovel.

I thought I'd second this piece of advice. Our underwater hockey program via our local LDS club is a great experience and keeps you active. You would be amazed at how some of the newer divers have taken to the sport.

A local diving club is the way to go to help build you diving knowledge and number of dives. I'm close to completing my Divemaster course ( just waiting for the ice to go away so I can complete my map ) and we have 6 other Divemaster's in my club that are always willing to buddy with and work with new divers. I think this increases the comfort level for new divers and they learn from a dive leader and usually carry on with good diving habits.

I think that any type of further diving education can only make you a better diver. So sign up for some course that interest you!

Happy Diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom