older diver needs easy diving recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about this. Drive to Raleigh and overnight there, then you have 2 options to get to Bonaire, the Delta flight via Atlanta or the United flight via Newark. Both those flights are 1 stop from RDU. I know that adds a couple of nights stay but it does cut down the stops. Same goes for Roatan via Atlanta or Houston.

United now has 2 flights per week into Bonaire, 1 from houston & 1 from Newark. Some of these used to be redeyes, but the Houston is now a day flight.

I agree that the connection via curaçao (or Aruba) can be painful.

The brac is a great dive destination, but also has connection luggage issues - you will get there promptly, your dive gear? Maybe a little later...

Steve_C:.....but I've gotten old and crabby and now only do what I really want to do.

Understand. I figure my diving years are drawing to a rapid close. So diving as much as I can where ever I can. Be diving out of Wilmington in a couple weeks. Enjoy the vacation. Sounds fun.

If you are in good health, why would the end of your diving days be coming soon? I was on a liveaboard not long ago and two of the very best divers were 65. Then there was ankther couple also 65ish pretty good too. They'd manage to rack up 1100 dives each since they became certified 10 years earlier. They looked do strong and vital I asked if they had s gym in their home. The answer was yes and a trainer. :)

I need to spend a little more time working out but even with all my joint issues, a little arthris here and there, and just some other oddities that usually include pain, I'm not going down without a fight. Um, let me rephrase. I'm going to fight to keep going down until someone is wheeling me around or I run out of money, whichever first occurs.

Agree with no Provo & after going to Bonaire last year and dealing with a long day of travel, I can see why that would be a no go. We find Grand Cayman easy; boat rides often 10-15 minutes for good diving. When we don't want a structured day, we do shore dives. Most of the shore dives have easy entrances/exits and cost of renting tanks/weights is less than $15pp. (Turtle Reef, Eden Rock, Cobalt Coast are some options). Have not been to Roatan so cannot comment but Grad Cayman is easy diving for us and we can get direct flights out of Boston.

The best of Provo is certainly a 45min. boat ride (plus a 1/2 hr. shuttle ride) away. And since you're crossing between islands, not particularly calm. 2 tanks get you back to your hotel around 2:30 - trips include lunch. They just don't leave particularly early. Do a 3-tank and you're pushing 5PM.

But you can also stay in Grace Bay and dive from there and at NW Point nearby. NW Point is good diving, the liveaboards do a couple days there first. At Amanyara (very expensive) they have their own operator and advertise the reef is 500 yds. offshore. None of those dives are more than 10mins. out. Also the operators pick up in that area and take you to the boat.

So it could be doable. Provo is just really expensive though - at least as expensive at Grand Cayman - maybe more. And it's all boat diving. Really excellent beach - Grace Bay is one of the nicest in the world. Staying on it is priced accordingly...

You might consider the USVI's/BVI's with some caveats. For under $700 Wilmington to St. Thomas is 6hrs. each way with one stop in Charlotte. There's a lot varying depth diving just off Charlotte Amalie - one of the best dives in the area - Cow/Calf Rocks can't be 50' to the sand. And shallow wrecks. Another option there is to dive from the East End. They dive the Cays nearby - most you can see from shore clearly enough to ID the dive boats and Coki Beach is a decent shallow shore dive there. They also dive around St. John - 1/2 hr. boat ride via ferry - I'm guessing less via faster dive boat. There's also a dozen dives off that side of St. Thomas within a 15min. or so boat ride.

From Red Hook there's both a people and a car ferry that run over to St. John where there's also about 1/2 dozen shore dives. And other operators that dive locally and sites a little farther reach for the St. Thomas boats - although many do go out there. We tried for Carval Rock, one of the better dives but it was blown out - went around the leeward side of Congo Cay and it was flat calm. Good dive there also. St Thomas Diving Club - located at Bolongo Bay Resort - is a good operation with a big boat. Slightly smaller boat at Red Hook Diving. All their staff is Instructors - even those that DM.

One other option might be to travel over to the BVI's and dive there. The way most people do that is via Fast Ferry - they're big boats and pretty stable. Takes about an hour from St. Thomas to Tortola - just under two to Virgin Gorda. And they're ultra-reliable - some friends left Virgin Gorda at 8AM for a 1PM flight out of St. Thomas. Got there early enough to stop for lunch downtown. The ferries run just about hourly between all the islands. Virgin Islands Ferry Schedule

We dove from Virgin Gorda, used/liked DiveBVI. Dive BVI >> British Virgin Islands Scuba Diving, It's What we do! They have a stable 46' Newton dive boat. And a big powered cat but it's more used on snorkel trips. Really valet service, they kept our gear, set it up daily on the boat and cleaned and dried it our last day. A friend has a bad knee so she sat on the back of the swim step on every dive and they brought her gear to her. We couldn't even help change a tank for ourselves - they did it all. The DM even defogged all the masks on the way out.

Most of the smaller islands are within about a 1/2 hr.-45min boat ride - but there's also a few sites 5mins. from their dock. Aquarium actually was a pretty good one. The deepest we went doing 22 dives there was 80' past that you were on the bottom. Some of the sites were closer to 60' - a few of the more popular ones had a hard bottom at 40' ish. The signature wreck there - the Rhone off Salt Island is 70' under the bow.

We were there in early spring (late March) It was pretty calm. IDK how it would be in Winter. But contact DiveBvi if interested - they're really helpful people. Ask for Casey - their GM. 1-800-848-7078

You can also fly to Beef Island on Tortola from St. Thomas but that used to be only during the summer months due to demand. Virgin Gorda has a small airstrip - day flights only. There's one operator that flies 4 place Cessna's in there. There's also a helicopter but that's big money I'm sure. Richard Branson's (Virgin everything CEO) private island is just off the north end of Virgin Gorda and Little Dix Bay is also very pricey. Outstanding beaches also - some so private the only way you get there is via resort boat. No crime that I saw either - we rented a villa and they had no external door keys - never needed them. Only 3K people live there. Never stayed there but I like the looks of Mango Bay Resort. The reef (for snorkeling) is so close there boats can't enter the bay.

Bonaire is the same reef as Curacao. But the shore entries are a lot more difficult - most over ironshore/coral rubble at the waterline instead of beach. I'm getting to old for that also...

Last edited:
Little Cayman OR Brac-----both places give you 'valet' diving with the most you have to do is remember what your rig(BC/regulator etc etc ) looks like.........Seriously, you'll love it ---for the ease AND the wildlife(2nd to no place except for Dominica) ........Here's a pic of their setup....You sit down on the seat to the left of the ladder in this pic(there's one on each side) & tell em what you're wearing...They bring it to you, & help you put it on & take a half step forward into the beautiful Caribbean....

If you happen to go with Little Cayman, you'll be diving Bloody Bay Wall(a lot)------which for that reason I put LC slightly ahead of CBrac for diving(plus the end of your dives are shallower--20ft vs 35+ft LC vs CB)...Now, the plus for CB, you can get a direct jet flight from the east coast of US into there(Brac has a long 'jet' runway & LC only a short 'puddle jumper one'--so most of the time you have to go thru GC & sometimes overnite there).......Trust me....lol...you'll not be disappointed.......

IMG_1651003.jpg

EDIT:.......That's diving with Reef Divers @ either LCBR or CBBR properties......google either.....

No need to go to Miami. I agree. Avoid Miami. Look at flights thru Atl or look an Insel. As far as the costs, the few hundred dollars you may pay more in airfare to Bon is more than saved in the reduced diving costs in Bon vs say GC

If you are in good health, why would the end of your diving days be coming soon? I was on a liveaboard not long ago and two of the very best divers were 65. Then there was ankther couple also 65ish pretty good too. They'd manage to rack up 1100 dives each since they became certified 10 years earlier. They looked do strong and vital I asked if they had s gym in their home. The answer was yes and a trainer. :)

I am 68.5 years old and reasonable health. I am a realist. Call me an optimistic pessimist (pessimist optimist?) I look around me and aging happens. I will keep diving as long as I can but I expect that some time in the next few years a doctor will tell me that it's over if I want to keep watching my grandson grow and I will stop. Hopefully not real soon but it is a roll of the genetic and biological dices.

Right now it works to give me more dives. I never say that I will do X next year or next time. If I can do X now I do it. Two bad rotator cuffs do not matter since I almost never use my arms for overhead lifting and I can get up the ladder. The missing disk does not matter because I maintain decent trim and walk/lift upright and build my back muscles.

:cool2:

About five years ago at my favorite quarry, I watched a very elderly gentleman make his way down the steps, across the concrete dock, carefully down the last set of stairs and gone underwater with his bud. I remember thinking to myself that I really do want to live that long too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom