Older Divers - Perceptions of the Youthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockPile:
At least see the comedy in putting those two sentences that close together. :)

JB

Now I see it!

I changed regulators because I now have HP tanks and the long hose thing (HOG).

The old reg wasn't good for HP and doesn't have DIN connections. Otherwise I liked it. (still do)

OE2X:
I remember the days when we didn't use spgs, no octos, no BC's, and we had K-valves for reserves. Thanks but no thanks, I'll go with the gear I use now. Thank you very much. :D
I see "SomeHiemers" working here! Those would be "J-Valves". I don't miss them either! :D

You gonna come over for our Vintage Dive at Weeki Wachee? There will be a few more fossils in the spring that day! :D

Divin'Hoosier:
I'm not under 40, but at 41, I am in the lower range of what you're calling "older divers".

Welcome to being OLD!

Tom Smedley:
I have two Edges - an instructor model and a regular model.

You realize the only difference is one says "INSTRUCTOR" on it and the other doesn't?

NetDoc:
I see "SomeHiemers" working here, Jocko! Those would be "J-Valves". I don't miss them either! :D

You gonna come over for our Vintage Dive at Weeki Wachee? There will be a few more fossils in the spring that day! :D

I usually dive modern, but this weekend I'll be diving vintage. It's a rush! Come one, come all, it'll be fun to watch.

OE2X:
Two categories:
Two gent come to mind. I have the pleasure of diving with Uncle Pug. ...... Gratefuldiver is another one....

I cringe to consider those guys older divers, I dunno how old Ron is but I'm guessing Bob is under 55, but then I'm pushing 35 so my impression of old is evolving. When I see the guys over 65 suiting up in semi-vintage, and usually immaculately maintained gear, I just hope I'm still able and participating when I get there.

Gotcha there Walter there are other differences. One is silver and one is blue.

Walter:
You realize the only difference is one says "INSTRUCTOR" on it and the other doesn't?

The Kraken:
In response to a question in another forum regarding the age of divers, a question popped into my head: "How do younger divers (< 40 yrs. old) perceive older divers?"

For all of you under 40, what do you think when you see divers on the boat or shore that are 50, 60 or 70 years old?

the K
I hope I have that kind of energy when I hit that age!!

Well, im 16 now. For the past 6 years, many "older" divers(and yes, everyone was older than me when i was ten on the boat. But older here is over 50) seem to be very overweight. For the skinny older guys, i wish that I will be that fit when i am older. But for the very large older guys, I wonder how much lead they have to use. It never ceases to amaze me that obese men dive without having a heart attack. Sorry if i am generalizing here.

Well, im 16 now. For the past 6 years, many "older" divers(and yes, everyone was older than me when i was ten on the boat. But older here is over 50) seem to be very overweight. For the skinny older guys, i wish that I will be that fit when i am older. But for the very large older guys, I wonder how much lead they have to use. It never ceases to amaze me that obese men dive without having a heart attack. Sorry if i am generalizing here.

Kind of shows you how amazing the human body is......btw, everyone gets old unless you die young, in other words getting old is a good problem(some problems are good problems....:)).....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom