Older steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No way, you need to send em to me to be properly disposed of. Seriously steels as long as they pass hydro can outlive you. I have one from 53 and one from 55 along with another two from 73 and 74.

"As long as they pass hydro" is a pretty big caveat...

"As long as they pass hydro" is a pretty big caveat...
Not really. It is exceptionally rare for a steel tank to fail a hydro test, especially an older 3AA tank. Some of the newer special permit tanks have been known to fail but in the majority of cases I suspect it is due to improper testing and not following the round out procedure prior to the test.

The biggest reason a steel tank is condemned is pitting caused by rust. If a tank is properly cared for and tumbled every 5-10 years to remove any excess flash rust that may form inside it will easily last 50-100 years.

P1010555.jpg
Here's my twin voit 38's with accessories..........tanks stamped 3 61+ and so on for later years, still going strong.........

Not really. It is exceptionally rare for a steel tank to fail a hydro test, especially an older 3AA tank. Some of the newer special permit tanks have been known to fail but in the majority of cases I suspect it is due to improper testing and not following the round out procedure prior to the test.

The biggest reason a steel tank is condemned is pitting caused by rust. If a tank is properly cared for and tumbled every 5-10 years to remove any excess flash rust that may form inside it will easily last 50-100 years.

Good information for sure although the PST issue and Worthington's lack of a track record raises some concern about steel cylinder longevity. Do most LDS's properly alert tanks owners of the onset of rust? To be honest with you I have not heard much about the practice of tank tumbling until I became active on this board...

Good information for sure although the PST issue and Worthington's lack of a track record raises some concern about steel cylinder longevity. Do most LDS's properly alert tanks owners of the onset of rust? To be honest with you I have not heard much about the practice of tank tumbling until I became active on this board...

It's true that the HP products don't have the same history. I consider that a minor risk since I fnd them to be an excellent combination of size, weight, buoyancy and capacity.

As part of the VIP process the local shop will touch them up with a brush. Sometimes NC, sometimes for a minor fee. I haven't had anything that needed a tumble, yet.

Pete

It's true that the HP products don't have the same history. I consider that a minor risk since I fnd them to be an excellent combination of size, weight, buoyancy and capacity.

As part of the VIP process the local shop will touch them up with a brush. Sometimes NC, sometimes for a minor fee. I haven't had anything that needed a tumble, yet.

Pete

Yeah, my Worthington HP100's make diving a pleasure. The same with my Faber LP85's doubled up. Thanks for the info...

I think I just ran into the oldest still being used SCUBA tank that I have ever seen. This tank has been in almost regular use for SCUBA since WWII and for it's original use for a while before that. I couldn't read the original hydro date because of too much paint but the oldest readable date was 7-41 and there were four hydro stamps before that.:shocked2:

The neck was almost full of stamps. I counted at least 15 hydro dates and at least 6 of them had + after them. It was a ICC3A2015 tank that I would guess was about 44CF.

Back
Top Bottom