OLED Wrist vs OLED Console Dive Computers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn! Well.. thanks for saving me the trouble, @scubadada . I had been wanting a Henrichs since I found out that they were open source. I had been waiting until the end of March when they are due to release the source code for the OSTC4. C'est la Vie, I guess.

I would not want the audible alarms as they are annoying/confusing in groups (who the hell is beeping?) - but a subtle vibratory alarm would be a nice add.

Works great on a 7 mm suit I'm sure. I think ascent rate beeps are good teaching tool but since newbies are not Sherwater's target demo I can see them being absent.

Damn! Well.. thanks for saving me the trouble, @scubadada . I had been wanting a Henrichs since I found out that they were open source. I had been waiting until the end of March when they are due to release the source code for the OSTC4. C'est la Vie, I guess.

The last conversations I had with them (probably over a year ago) was that they had quit doing Open Source.

You're sure they are going to Open Source the firmware for the OSTC4?

Also, from looking into it further, it seemed that when they were Open Sourcing before (for the 2?), they didn't actually release ALL the source code. Basically, it seemed like they released enough that you could read it and see how different things worked. But, it seemed (IF I understood things correctly) that they didn't release enough that you could buy one of their computers, take their code, modify it to suit yourself, and then load it up on your computer to use.

After my prior research on the subject, I completely lost interest in getting one of their computers.

If their AI worked with the same transmitters as Shearwater and many others, and if they did open source the code for the 4, it might have gotten me interested again. But, with a proprietary transmitter which is completely untried in the real world (AFAIK), their (prior, anyway) stance on their open source, their lack of support in the U.S., and the price, I am still completely uninterested.

What I AM looking forward to is the possibility of 2 different things:

Shearwater releases their next new model - whatever that turns out to be. Wristwatch size? Big screen like the OSTC 4? Same size screen as the Perdix but half as thick?

Garmin adds AI to the Descent. HOPEFULLY, working with PPS transmitters (i.e. the same as Shearwater and others).

The last conversations I had with them (probably over a year ago) was that they had quit doing Open Source.

You're sure they are going to Open Source the firmware for the OSTC4?

Also, from looking into it further, it seemed that when they were Open Sourcing before (for the 2?), they didn't actually release ALL the source code. Basically, it seemed like they released enough that you could read it and see how different things worked. But, it seemed (IF I understood things correctly) that they didn't release enough that you could buy one of their computers, take their code, modify it to suit yourself, and then load it up on your computer to use.

After my prior research on the subject, I completely lost interest in getting one of their computers.

If their AI worked with the same transmitters as Shearwater and many others, and if they did open source the code for the 4, it might have gotten me interested again. But, with a proprietary transmitter which is completely untried in the real world (AFAIK), their (prior, anyway) stance on their open source, their lack of support in the U.S., and the price, I am still completely uninterested.

What I AM looking forward to is the possibility of 2 different things:

Shearwater releases their next new model - whatever that turns out to be. Wristwatch size? Big screen like the OSTC 4? Same size screen as the Perdix but half as thick?

Garmin adds AI to the Descent. HOPEFULLY, working with PPS transmitters (i.e. the same as Shearwater and others).

Yes, I traded a bunch of emails with them directly this month. The source for the OSTC3 and other models is definitely available. I've downloaded and reviewed it - it's the real thing. They told me that OSTC4 source was due to be released by the end of this month (March 2018). That's this week, so I guess we'll see. If I can't buy one in the US, I don't think I'll even bother downloading the source if it does get released.

Obviously, like you say - if something's missing in the sources then it's pretty useless.

I got the source from bitbucket heinrichsweikamp / hwOS_code — Bitbucket and it looks on the level to me. They're still making commits to the older codebase (or it's shared with the OSTC4) as there have been 5 commits in the past two weeks. Some of the code is C and some is assembly.

Last edited:
Outside OLED computers I found a wrist watch which really impresses me and that is the Mares Matrix. It has a wonderful full dot matrix display with everything I need at a very good price. Far better priced than the equivalent Scubapro Mantis 2 and Oceanic AI watches. The problem is I can't seem to find many positive reviews on it so does that make it a bad choice or a risk worth taking?
I have Matrix. It's serves as a backup to Perdix now. After playing with is for short time, it is easy to use and set up. Even did some deco dives with it, easy to read and comprehend. Only thing I don't really like is compass, it's somewhat jerky. It's two years, 70 dives old, still working fine

As I'm not a tech diver I feel its not necessary to opt for a Shearwater Perdix... the list of OLED wrist computers I have found which seem to be the best for me are:

Suunto EON core - absolutely love the display
Mares Icon HD - awesome display
Aqualung i750tc - because all the other gear I have is made by AL too
Scubapro G2 - less chunky and with a HRM

Never say never. When I started diving, BPW was too tech, doubles and deco were out of question. Guess what, I own all of that "techy" stuff now, doing deco dives.
I live in a town with two 6m deep rivers, but still, sea is not that far, besides, why go to your car to change tanks? Dive doubles, same bottom time as two single tanks, but without changing hassle.
As for computers you listed, you can as well go to Shearwater straight away.

As for computers you listed, you can as well go to Shearwater straight away.

I know nothing about Suunto support on Eon-level computers, for Zoops with known bad pressure sensors they get bashed regularly. Shearwater support, OTOH, get only praise here. So Perdix probably wins over Eon on support, and up here in sunny Wisconsin Perdix also wins on both price and availability. Down Under it may be different.

I know nothing about Suunto support on Eon-level computers, for Zoops with known bad pressure sensors they get bashed regularly. Shearwater support, OTOH, get only praise here. So Perdix probably wins over Eon on support, and up here in sunny Wisconsin Perdix also wins on both price and availability. Down Under it may be different.

I have seen the posts about bad Suunto sensors on here.
Having had 4 Suunto's I am somewhat surprised. My first computer was a Suunto Eon, the old version - 1990's. Then the Vyper, which had Nitrox and Gauge Modes (I still have this). Then a Vytec that they exchanged very soon after I purchased it due to a software bug. Then two more Vytecs, one lost a depth sensor, and they exchanged it at a significant discount. The last Vytec I flooded :(.

So overall my experience of Suunto's has been very good.

I think as a club we probably still have more Suunto's than any other manufacturer used by members. Those of us doing more advanced diving have a selection of OSTC, Shearwater, Suunto Eon Steel, and APD based computers (The dive computer is built into the rebreather controller (most of the VR3's have been retired).

I also have a Zoop :), which I tend to lend to students.

Whilst the OSTC is not available in North America. They have an excellent reputation for support.
A friend of mine dropped a twinset on an OSTC which did it some significant damage. He sent it back to OSTC, apart from asking what he expected them to do about a computer that was so badly damaged, they gave him so significant discount on a replacement.

Gareth

Over here Core is $1,500 with transmitter or a grand without at LeisurePro. Perdix is $935 with transmitter or $850 without at DRiS -- calling them my LDS is a bit of a stretch but still they are within "visiting distance". In fact LeisurePro doesn't have anything with TFT screen under $900. So I think strong Shearwater bias on a US-centric site is rather unsurprising.

I also think most computers I see on Caribbean boats are Zoops and Vypers.

Over here Core is $1,500 with transmitter or a grand without at LeisurePro. Perdix is $935 with transmitter or $850 without at DRiS -- calling them my LDS is a bit of a stretch but still they are within "visiting distance". In fact LeisurePro doesn't have anything with TFT screen under $900. So I think strong Shearwater bias on a US-centric site is rather unsurprising.

I also think most computers I see on Caribbean boats are Zoops and Vypers.

I think a Perdix AI is $935 without a transmitter and around $1125 with a transmitter.

I think the $850 price is for a Perdix (non-AI).

That's what happens when I watch programs run with one eye and reply to SB threads with the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom