Omega 3 Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hollis version has std fittings and you can buy second stages only if u like your existing first.

get the hollis version. No issues there and you can buy second stages by themselves and put them on your existing hoses.

That's what I'm going to do, thanks for the encouragement.

…What possible reason could there be for using nonstandard, propriatory connection threads - other than trying to lock me in to your product line. I won't buy...

Although I am equally stunned by this decision, I doubt that “locking customers in” based on hoses was the motivation. I imagine there were hours of discussions and arguments over every aspect of this design — there always is. I would be interested to understand what engineering compromises lead to this design decision.

Personally, I suspect that the anticipated value of some design features were assumed to be of greater value than using standard hoses. Design is always a process of determining the least painful compromises.

In my judgment, the swivel and dive/predive feature are not worth using non-standard hoses. In fact, I would rather not have the swivel due to increasing failure risk compared to any comfort advantages. I also feel that removing the regulator mechanism from the housing without tools, like the Omega 1 and 2, is of great value.

The original Omega used a non-standard ½" hose and first stage thread in an effort to optimize high flow rates. However, the fitting on the regulator itself was “standard”. The first stage had several standard LP 3/8" ports and one ½" port on the end. As I recall, ½-3/8" reducers were not available at the time but it came with a ½" plug.

IF incorporating the swivel was the main motivation that lead to the proprietary hose, I would prefer a replacement for the swivel than an adapter. Better yet, offer two versions like the no-swivel Atomic Z-series.

Still interested at this point

I just got the Hollis. Unscrewed my old 2nd stage and screwed on the Hollis. Perfect. My understanding is that the Omega breathes wet and the Hollis dry. Haven't dove it yet but will in the next week or so. I also understand that the Hollis can be taken apart (even underwater) same as the Omega (internals are identical). I'll take standard interchangable over propriatary every time.

It has been about a year since you wrote this. Is the adapter available now?

ive sent about many many requests to oceanic (near 2 dozen emails/online forms), and tried to PM Doug on here and sent him an email... I haven't head anything back from either. as a last resort, I contacted my LDS and luckily they agreed to look into it for me today hopefully ill hear something back soon.

So glad I went with the Hollis instead. It has been wonderful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom