OMG! 403 lb Warsaw Speared in Gulf of Mexico!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, wait. This guy went down to 425'?
Is that right? No. Can't be.

No way.

Does anyone know anything about the guns they used, and the technique of free shafting? I guess if you don't kill the fish right away, you lose a lot of shafts.

Florabama:
Does anyone know anything about the guns they used, and the technique of free shafting? I guess if you don't kill the fish right away, you lose a lot of shafts.

They use Spearfishing Specialties' Rhino Commercial guns with a single 5/8" band and 60" freeshafts. The aim is to stone the fish when freeshafting. The shaft will be more accurate and have a longer range when not encumbered by a shooting line. It usually works better on reefs than it does in the water column.

JustAddWater:
WOW!!!! Assuming the hunter wasn't practicing spear and release, that would require some fridge space....or big wall for the mount. I can just imagine it, "Honey, look what I picked up for the den."

Dan is a commercial spearfisherman. It's another day at work, just not quite as routine!

Dan convinced me to put a 3rd freeshaft on my scuba gun when diving deep. His speargun has 3 freeshafts in this pic. The 4th holder on the bottom is empty.

Chad

deadend:
They use Spearfishing Specialties' Rhino Commercial guns with a single 5/8" band and 60" freeshafts. The aim is to stone the fish when freeshafting. The shaft will be more accurate and have a longer range when not encumbered by a shooting line. It usually works better on reefs than it does in the water column.

Okay, I have a couple of questions so I can understand the terminology better. What do you mean by "The aim is to stone the fish when freeshafting."? Stone the fish? With a spear gun isn't the intention to penetrate the fish in order to kill it? When you say stone I interpret that to be like bludgeoning.

Bill.

deadend:
The fish was shot with a 60" freeshaft powered by a single band. He put a second shaft into the fish and it was about finished. He ph'd it just in case but it was not necessary, it only ensured his safety being at 425'. That is the fish of a lifetime taken by someone who has paid his dues in the sport and after much planning and forethought.

Next question, what do you mean by "ph'd it"?

Bill.

Back
Top Bottom