OMS Slipstreams vs. Dive Rite XTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

should be noted I have a similar experience with Ron, in that the slipstreams make certain maneuvers much easier, but there is a lot more power to be had out of the Dive Rites. Since most of my diving is in caves where I have to kick to get somewhere, I chose Dive Rite, if I were doing more wreck diving, I would have gone the other way.

Ended up ordering a pair of the Slipstreams. Leisurepro was running a sale on them. I'll keep the Dive Rites in mind if I get into cave diving (which I hope to someday). Thanks for the responses.

Ended up ordering a pair of the Slipstreams. Leisurepro was running a sale on them. I'll keep the Dive Rites in mind if I get into cave diving (which I hope to someday). Thanks for the responses.

Please let us know how you like them, if they fit properly according to OMS' size chart, etc.

Please let us know how you like them, if they fit properly according to OMS' size chart, etc.
I'll let you know how they work out. They should come in tomorrow and I'll be headed up to a local dive hole this weekend to do some camping and hopefully lots of diving. I'll try to remember to post a review when I get back.

I just parked my slipstreams and got Dive Rites again. they have more power and are the same buoyancy in the water. I remember that Lamar posted a link awhile back to an independent test that was done on several pairs of fins. the power to thrust ratio of the DR was at the top and the OMS were the very bottom. I tend to believe this due to my experience with both pairs.

I just parked my slipstreams and got Dive Rites again. they have more power and are the same buoyancy in the water. I remember that Lamar posted a link awhile back to an independent test that was done on several pairs of fins. the power to thrust ratio of the DR was at the top and the OMS were the very bottom. I tend to believe this due to my experience with both pairs.
Too late for me now lol. Just got the Slipstreams in the mail. Like I said though, I might try the XTs in the future. I'll try to post my thoughts on the Slipstreams after I've dove with them some.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, the Dive Rite XTs are longer than the Slipstreams, so it's not surprising they yield more power. Maybe some divers find the XTs on the unwieldy side?

To maximize enjoyment of the dive, I prefer the most compact fin that yields just enough power. For single-tank wetsuit diving where there's no need to fight a current, I love my compact Hollis F2s. Slipstreams might be a better all-around fin, so I have my eye on them. My wife loves her HOG Tech 2s. Anyone know if the HOGs are heavier than the Slipstreams? My wife found they helped counter her floaty legs, so I have assumed they are heavier than average among the stiff paddle fins available (e.g., Jets being heavy fins of this type).

I recently bought slipsteams as my jets were too heavy for cave diving in sidemount. As you may know these fins have only recently come back into production and were unavailable for some time.. They are identical to jetfins ie the mould is the same, but made of a lighter material ie not solid rubber. The springs are from the same source too. If you like jets, slipstreams are just a lighter version, and they suit me. Slightly less powerful than jets but not far off it. Backfinning a little more difficult than jets but way easier than quattros. Haven't used the DR so cant comment on that.

So, just got back from a dive weekend. Here are my thoughts on the Slipstreams and how they compare to my other pair of fins, the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus. I'm still a newbie diver at time of writing this and these are only my second pair of fins, so bear with me here.

First Impressions:

Out of the box these fins feel pretty hefty. For some reason Leisure Pro sent me a pair that were covered in factory gunk and dust, which I had to wash off. The "monoprene" material that the fins are made of made of looks and feels very much like rubber, only lighter and less floppy. My Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins by comparison feel more plasticy and only use monoprene on the channels. The OMS fins are slightly heavier than the Mares fins. The spring straps on the Slipstreams are sturdy and low profile, I like them better than the bungee straps on the Quattro's.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Fit:

The OMS size chart recommended a size x-large for a size 8-10 foot. I wear a size 9. In a pair of "heavy duty" 6.5mm wetsuit boots the fins fit like a glove. However, if you wear rock boots or a size 10/10.5 with a thick boot, you may wish to size up to a 2XL. My Quattro's on the other hand are a size regular, so apparently these fins run pretty small compared to others. The foot pocket on the Quattro's are more comfortable and designed much better. That's not to say the Slipstreams are uncomfortable, the Quattro's are just better in that regard.
IMG_0124 (1).JPG

Performance:

So for my dive weekend we spent the night camping at Lake Jocassee (aka "The Deliverance" lake) and made a total of 5 dives, four off a boat at "the wall" and one off a boat ramp. While I mostly stayed around 60ft-70ft, my deepest dive was 123ft. Single AL80s were used along with a SS backplate harness and a 7mm wetsuit.

While not a dramatic difference, the Slipstreams are stiffer than the Quattro's. They also feel much heftier in the water. As far as propulsion per kick goes, I honestly couldn't really tell a big difference between the Slipstreams and the Quattro's. To be fair though, I unfortunately didn't bring my Quattro's along on this trip, so I couldn't do a proper side by side comparison. One thing I could tell is that the wide blades make these fins very good at maneuvering. Helicopter turns are a breeze and small kicks like the modified frog feel nice. They were very easy to "hover" in while doing a safety stop. While I couldn't really tell if my modified flutter kicks were doing a whole lot, after one dive I did, my dive buddy was complaining that I was going too fast for him and asked what kind of fins I was using. True story. So based on that, I guess these fins will get you places in a hurry if you want too. As is the norm with a stiff fin, they're best suited for modified flutter or frog kicking. Big flutter kicks will tire you out quick in these, unlike the Quattro's, which are lighter and more forgiving. Lastly, I've seen people on the internet complain about the foot pockets being too stiff in these, but I never had any problem with discomfort on any of the dives. Taking them on and off was a breeze and the spring straps held them very sturdily to my feet.
joc.JPG

Overall I feel like I'll need to spend more time with these fins to see how much I like them. I suspect I'll be using them for many more dives. Thanks again for the replies and thanks if you took the time to read this long post.

Last edited:
Could anyone here with Slipstreams, F2s, or XTs comment on the *dry* weight of your fins (noting which size you have)? Trying to find a lighter weight fin than my current Jets / Turtles for some easy, warm water, single cylinder diving. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom