OMS Vs. Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an OMS and recently traded it in for a DSS. I loved the OMS. I never had any problems with the bands, however there are plenty of people out there that have never dove them will tell you different.

While the OMS is a great setup, my DSS setup is heads and shoulders above it. I could go on and on about it but people say that I kiss *** doing it. With that being said, look into other options. SB is a great place to get the info outside of your local area.

Thanks everyone for your help. This was very informative and I will take everyone's comments into consideration as I decide what to buy.

Thank you again,
--Dave

:cheers:

You need to figure out what type of diving you’ll be doing, and what type of tanks and weight you’ll need to be able lift (including you and weights). Then read the spec’s of your preferred choices.

I use an OMS dual bladder which has about 90 lbs lift. Diverite (I think) has 77 lb max lift in there largest wing. If you happen to be 6’ 4”, 245 lbs, and have to use a little extra weight, and perhaps use (say) Twin Steel HP 130’s, with two Neu-AL80’s for side mounts, a good lifting capacity might be beneficial, especially if you get a flooded drysuit. (This is all hypothetical of course). eyebrow

I personally prefer the bungees, as it reduces my profile (drag) and (IMO) helps with exhausting. It also, reduces profile to less than shoulder width, which makes it easier to get through tight holes or doorways in wrecks, etc. (Acknowledging there is room for argument about potential for snags with the bungees). But as mentioned by others, you can get it without them too.

I use an adapter and dive single tanks with the OMS as well, and the bungees reduce the added slop and the “taco” affect as mentioned before.

Great system.

Thanks solitude Diver,
I plan on doing more wreck diving in extreme conditions and think I maybe happy with the OMS system. Can I ask you what type of harness you use?

--Dave

I believe it is the comfort harness with a stainless back-plate. I chose one with the padded straps and padded back-plate. This is because I also do a lot of shore dives with it to keep the familiarity thing going. My set up (without side mounts) is about 175 lbs, and is not fun to go for extended walks. The only thing I don’t like about the pad on the back plate, is that it is hard to remove one of the wings nuts when you want to remove the set up from the tanks. Still a good unit though. I also removed the crotch strap so I could easily lift the BC and tanks when doing my valve shut down drills, and I changed the D rings on the hips to solid 90 degree ones. Set up comes with ones that can tend to lay flat against waist strap and make it hard to find with 5 mil gloves when trying to clip off deco bottles.

Your going in the right direction by researching and getting varied opinions before you decide (regardless of which one is for you).

Good Luck. Dive safe. :14:

Hi,

I would say stick with something safe and well designed yet resonable.

Oxycheq Signature series wing or DSS Wing.
Hammer head, DSS or Koplin backplates.
Hog harness with ss bent and straight d rings and a ss belt buckle.
SS tank straps.

Simple to maintain, resonable and easy to repair and replace.

SangP

SanP,
Do you think the OMS is an unsafe set up or are those just set ups that you think are best? I know a few wreck divers around here all use OMS and believe that its safe and easy to maintain. I don't know if you are refering to using a DIR set up because I am not interested in DIR. Also your profile says that you don't like the water, so have you used any of these set ups? Please fill me in on your thoughts, I like to hear different opinions before I drop a large chunk of change.

-Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom