OMS Vs. Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OMS stuff seems not to be popular here in the southeast, but from what I've seen of their wings, they are very nice. There are some other issues at hand, but I'd dive it. At least the non-bungee stuff. That new Larry Green Signature wing is very nice, but I doubt you'd need 60# of lift for a LONG time.

I'm going to say this and leave it alone. I know you say you are not interested in DIR and never will be, and then went on to make some comments that you apparently think apply to DIR diving. I would humbly suggest you try to keep your mind open to ideas from EVERYONE. There are a lot of very good divers out there in the world doing all kinds of dives. I am not saying you need to be a DIR diver, but they, like others, have some very, very, good ideas that I think might be useful to you. Some of those guys have done some incredible wreck work all over the world.

I point this out because I too am interested in wreck diving. I will be taking classes from GUE, IANTD, TDI, NAUI, and probably others. They *ALL* have good information to share and I don't want to miss any of it by holding prejudices against any one group.

Best of luck to you and dive safely.

Hi Diver Dave 69,

I'm kidda lazy to edit my profile but I do love the water, I just don't float well enough to enjoy swimming... diving... that's another story!

I have never used OMS before but the reason for my choice of Halcyon or Oxycheq is that I tried inflating a bungeed oms wing orally and nearly died! I can't imagine doing that on the water if my inflator failed or in an OOT situation.

I have both the Halcyon and the Oxycheq rig (actually that's my girl's rig but I use it a lot more than her LOL!

That and the fact that Oxycheq is a heck of a lot cheaper than OMS or Halcyon.
If you wanted cheap but good:
1. Hammerhead plate, STA and Hog webbing.
2. Oxycheq Signature wing for durability and price.
3. Tanks straps... anything ss.
4. Weight pockets, XScuba or XScuba weight belt.

Cheap, easy to repair, easy to sell if you hate the setup... what more can you ask for?

Don't forget the DSS setup too.

SangP

oms is way overpriced! i cant figure out why they are sooo drn expensive.

Spoon:
oms is way overpriced! i cant figure out why they are sooo drn expensive.
Because it is a very well constructed wing, almost bulletproof.
SangP:
I have never used OMS before but the reason for my choice of Halcyon or Oxycheq is that I tried inflating a bungeed oms wing orally and nearly died! I can't imagine doing that on the water if my inflator failed or in an OOT situation
As you have said, you have never used the OMS. I had one for 6 years and never once had a problem, let alone due to the bungees... I did once have a problem with a dive rite wing, but that is another topic. If tied correctly, it is no harder to inflate "BWsOD" than it is for bungeed wings.
PerroneFord:
I would humbly suggest you try to keep your mind open to ideas from EVERYONE. There are a lot of very good divers out there in the world doing all kinds of dives. I am not saying you need to be a DIR diver, but they, like others, have some very, very, good ideas that I think might be useful to you.
Exactly, keep your mind open. Contrary to popular belief, there is more than one way to "Do It Right". While I did get rid of my OMS for a DSS, I do not regret having my OMS, only not being able to use it to its full extent. OMS is a fine brand. Have no worries with your new rig.

Spoon:
they are two times more than ahlcyon down here
Looking on E-Bay, they are about the same.

I have an OMS double 94lbs bladder wing for sale. Used for about six months. Modified w/ shorter hoses. PM me if interested and I can send pics.

SangP:
I tried inflating a bungeed oms wing orally and nearly died! I can't imagine doing that on the water if my inflator failed or in an OOT situation.

I know they are shipped with bungees unattached. Perhaps someone tied them too tight or something?? Anyway, I practice OOA drills all the time, and I haven’t noticed any difficulty inflating with bungees (of course its been a long time since I tried one without to compare with). Note: I have actually had a situation where I ran out of air just before surface while recovering someone’s weights, and had to orally inflate at surface with the added weight in hand. Wasn’t a problem. You can always remove bungees if you don’t like them, or order without.

You could probably try a floor model at your LDS to see how difficult it is for you, if that is your concern.

Good luck with the decision process. :06:

SangP:
I have never used OMS before but the reason for my choice of Halcyon or Oxycheq is that I tried inflating a bungeed oms wing orally and nearly died! I can't imagine doing that on the water if my inflator failed or in an OOT situation.

Here we go again! Horror stories based on rumours and stupid speculations with no truth behind them

Tamas:
Here we go again! Horror stories based on rumours and stupid speculations with no truth behind them
You forgot to add in the part about the religious zealots.

Back
Top Bottom