On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the problem... I get it just fine, but you keep trying to take my engineering degree for granted...

There has been no evidence that you get it at all, in this thread. For somone that CLAIMS to have an Engineering degree, any degreee, you seem to be finding it difficult to grasp the obvious.

Perhaps I should let my son with his psychology degree explain it to you... OR... just perhaps my daughter with her teaching degree can teach it to you...

Fine people I'm sure but hardly experts on bonaire crime, right?

Either way "scuba Joe" you have attempted to degrade me for the last time... You answered a question on this thread with an honest and unbiased response... once. You were "Thank"ed and congratulated for that response. It was a response worth the praise... I am sorry you cannot accept that praise for it's unbiased thanks and be humble, or accepting...

Have YOU been humble and accepting? :confused:In no way was he trying to degrade you. He was trying to educate you on the reality of the situation and how to improve it.

Sorry boys, but I gotta disagree. All my posts have been reasonable in regard to discussing the crime problem, you all just don't like the answers, and you don't like it when your absurdity gets a light shined on it.

Sorry Mister MF, but all I've read from you in the last 17 pages was highly sarcastic, polemic, ridiculing other people's posts and, to say the least, arrogant to the limit. Except for that one reasonable post, of course, wouldn't want to be unjust.

Sorry Mr PF, although I occasionally understand your statements you are, again sorry to say, by far the most aggressive poster in this thread. Hardly any substantial arguments, just plain aggression as the ultimate solution, again and again. Sorry you are not allowed to take your guns to Bonaire to solve the problem your way.

Sorry for my aggressiveness, but I just had to state that. It was not much fun at all working through last week's postings in this thread. I really appreciate the atmosphere at ScubaBoard and I don't want to get that spoiled by some intolerant braggadocios.

Back to business.

I initially thought the "pay kids for watching your car" idea was great. However, I am afraid it is not practical.
The reasons should be obvious for anyone ever been to Bonaire.
First, lots of sites with no trees, shadows or whatsoever. You want that kid to get roasted in your car? I think it okay that Bonaire dive sites are that way, some kind of naturalistic approach. Can you imagine a wall of lockers on, let's say, Margate Bay or Playa Funchi?
Second, how would you manage this "service"? Will you put a kid on every dive site on a daily routine, 24-7? Not that good, eh... poor kid might be waiting for days until some customer shows up, not to think about his/her problems with how to get there - yes THAT IS A QUESTION, just to mention Washington Slagbaai National Park... Should they be waiting at dive shops in order to be picked up (suggested brand name Kids To Go, sorry, couldn't resist), sounds a lot better, maybe some point to start from.
Third, Bonaire is a year-round travel destination. The argument has already been made, if I remember correctly, kids do have to go to school or start an apprenticeship or something (education, you know...). How can you maintain that "service" throughout the year? Or to say it otherwise, where to get the kids from? More so as I guess this job does not qualify for being a certified one, one that needs a, ehm, three year apprenticeship? Okay, right now I remember the old man from Mexico, and maybe that might be a solution to that point.

Sorry I may sound a bit destructive sometimes, these are just my personal musings. Any reasonable criticism is appreciated, as is any serious discussion. I do not claim knowing the absolute truth.

Ooops, before I forget, everyone is talking about Bonaire's 15,000 residents. Nobody ever mentioned the minority group of about 100,000 tourists per year and I think you have to take that into consideration. That's roughly eight times the population and of course the island's main economic factor. There's tourists everywhere, literally, showing off their wealth, living in big houses, driving big new cars, hauling around expensive equipment, wining and dining every day. I dunno if there's an expression for that in English but in Germany we have the term Sozialer Neid which may be roughly translated as being envious on other people's wealth.
Anyway, as far as I can tell, lots of tourists means lots of crime, everywhere, and you only have to get off the main paths and take a ride through Antriol's narrower roads, or get lost in the kunuku areas, and I guess you get the picture.

The situation on Bonaire is rather difficult. No government in any tourist relying country wants to boast with high crime rates, neither does Bonaire. Who wants to blame them for pretending everything is allright. We all know that it's not honest, but hey, look at your government first. There are lots of people living in relative poverty on the island. Crime is organized by adults that use kids as scapegoats and stay in the background themselves - classic scheme. There is also a substantial drug problem on Bonaire, especially cocaine, I was told. Of course this all adds up.

I can only speak for me, but I am from a remote and quiet part of Germany, and I feel more free on Bonaire than here at home, regarding crime threats, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Who wants to blame them for pretending everything is allright. We all know that it's not honest" Herr Roelf

yes, yes, we understand. But you see, Herr Roelf, that is the problem and what we are attempting to overcome.

Well I for one am fairly disgusted with this thread.

I for one get disgusted with every Bonaire thread that 2 or 3 people enter into taking the thread from a realistic discussion of what is good about Bonaire AND the problems on Bonaire right into the toilet where they have led this thread. Excellent work boys. Almost nobody (I only say almost becaquse I have never seen those words spoken or implied but anything is possible) has said crime does not exist "buddy" (not you DiverVince - your post is just the one that started my posy)......you fanatical ijuts simply keep making that claim thanks to your inability to read and comprehend the written word. You have had one good post and were commended on it......that is one better than your buddy so I guess that is good.

Fine people I'm sure but hardly experts on bonaire crime, right?

So what the hell are you posting for? Because you are incapable of understanding the words that you see on your screen? You have been on the island once, nothing has ever happened to you.....I would say CT's children would be far more an expert than you because at least their father has been to the island several times.

yes, yes, we understand. But you see, Herr Roelf, that is the problem and what we are attempting to overcome.

Thank you Mr PF for the cheap reply.

I'm afraid you haven't understood one single word.

Why not leave this thread to serious posters?

Sorry boys, but I gotta disagree. All my posts have been reasonable in regard to discussing the crime problem, you all just don't like the answers, and you don't like it when your absurdity gets a light shined on it.

And if you guys want actual numbers then you produce some reliable statistics and I'll put them in a spread sheet for you, but part of the whole problem is numbers don't exist.

<snip>

That's why I say stop the BS, first step is admiting there is a problem, full disclosure and no white washing, only after that can solutions be possible.

I haven't seen anyone say that there isn't crime on Bonaire. The issue is that some people appear to be taking a few occurrences and turning it into an epidemic.

"numbers don't exist." -- I've seen reports of maybe half a dozen crimes reported. That's definitely reason to take notice, but IMO, certainly not worth the ranting and raving being done by some members of the board. If numbers don't exist, how do they know the crime is so bad? If they're seeing reports on other boards, why is it so hard for them to offer some sort of actual count based on the reports they've seen?

Well I for one am fairly disgusted with this thread. I do like to post and share my knowledge about Bonaire with others but to be vilified by some (especially those who have spent so little time on the island that they refuseto even provide their stats regarding experience on the island) because I'm involved with tourism and own property is really just sophomoric and indicative of their mindset.

There are other venues to get good information about Bonaire & I would suggest to those who want unbiased information to seek them out. And YES, for the thousandth time, I own property on the island and have been visiting it (and many others) for almost 25 years. If you think this makes me biased and that I don't know what I'm talking about, or "whitewash" really, so be it. I can say that all of our guests have reported wonderful fantastic stays on the island (we personally call everyone for their input) and they all clamor to return.

A few words to those folks who have no experience on the island and looking for bona fide information. Be careful what you read here and take it with a grain of (Bonairean) salt, because many posters have so little knowledge of what they pontificate about under the guise of trying to get the facts out about Bonaire that's it's pathetic that they try and pawn themselves off as having information about the island.

And now for the inevitable ad hominum "responses"..blah blah blah blah ad infinitum..

Absolutely right..There is crime everywhere in the world. To say Bonaire is crime infested is wrong. I never hear automatic gunfire from a ak47 on Bonaire,as you do now on Roatan.
Going back to Bonaire April 18th..staying a Buddy's. On arrival staff sees me and says "welcome home"..Been going to the island 1 or 2 times a year since 1975..never had any problems.Taking 14 people with me.

Has anyone noticed that crime on Bonaire ONLY occurs when PilotFish is NOT on the island? Seems awfully suspicious to me.

Has anyone noticed that crime on Bonaire ONLY occurs when PilotFish is NOT on the island? Seems awfully suspicious to me.

PF refuses to put his life in danger like that so he is NEVER on the island anymore. He had too close a call with nothing on his first visit :fear:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom