Online vs. Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every business needs to evolve to survive and I am a firm believer in supporting local business but I won't if they wont at least match the price plus shipping and sales tax.

I understand the argument that supporters make about volume and how much more online shops sell than a LDS but the internet only limits those that don't want the hassel. Volume makes a difference but not nearley as much as they say it does and I know for a fact that many dive shops mark prices above suggested retail and carry brands like scuba pro because they are price protected and not because they are superior like many claim. Scuba pro used to publish the prices in its catalogs and stopped because of some dive shops were complaining for that very reason.
I wanted to buy my gear at my LDS but they did not sell Mares regs and I was quoted 1400.00 for a middle of the road scuba pro reg, octo, and a dive computer.
I bought everything new which includes: Mares abyss, proton octo, mares air integrated computer, new BC, weight belt, Tusa Split fins, Mares mask, and a custom wet suit for around 1200; most of which I gladly bought at Scuba Toys.

Scuba Diving is not just for the rich and is a sport that should be enjoyed by all no matter what the income level. Why push people in the direction of making the bigger mistake of buying used gear instead of offering to match the price on new gear I could buy at an online seller. I would be willing to bet most LDS push people to look for cheaper alternatives because of the prices they charge and most people would be inclined to purchase used gear in their local area instead of taking the risk of buying online for fear of getting ripped off.

no doubt you get a lot of a lds, if there is a good one in your area. can they all the time match your (even proven) prices of web biz? - no ofcourse not, they have way higher expenses. should you pay all the time way higher prices for gear? no! simply put, your lds and the internet biz have advantages (not only in diving!!!!). as it is true for your lds, to find one that is honest, knowledgable, able and willing (hard enough - depending on your location) so it is with a web based biz. lots of research is needed, especially for web based biz. there are companies out there (yes even online! - and no, i dont own one) that will take care of you, provide to your needs and give you warranties etc. i, as an instr, can get most of my gear directly of the mfg's for less than resellers pay (and i usually do) i still buy some stuff of my lds (which i dont work for) or web places (cause for some mysterious reason they have it even cheaper than that). i never (yet) got anything of scubatoys (but they have an excellent rep), i bought of leisure pro (and they still take care of my stuff i bought with there well honored inhouse warranty) and i get stuff fixed with ldc's (whats sometimes hard - i move a lot. not that bad anymore, but it used to be every 3 to 6 month). i still have usually the mfg taking care of stuff under warranty at a diff shop after a short call / email. to make a long story short, your lds has a lot of advantages (you can try stuff, get it repaired, as a good client get free airfills, courses etc - doesnt really cost much for them and keeps you happy) and you have one you like, by neptune - use it. internet brings availability to many ppl that dont even have a dc in their area, good prices and with the right one just as much happiness and satisfaction. you can get srewed in both! i am sure, that spending 10+ k helps alot with your lds to give you some specials or freebies. you would have with me :wink:. anyway youre lucky and have a good lds, many are not and have to use web based stores and still have a great experience. it doesnt make one better than the other. after all we have 2k6 and technology moves on. just think about dive computers (vr3) you buy it and can upgrade it to your needs (software) online :)! even straight from your vacation destination!!! like: i did my trimix course and wanna dive it tomorrow, go online pay download the software and whoom there is your before non trimix computer up to your training :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom