Opening stuck Light Cannon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have any tips for opening a stuck Light Cannon? I tried running hot water over it. It's been getting harder and harder to open (to break the initial pressure seal). I don't want to crack it trying to open it.

I stick it between my knees so that the handle prevents the light from rotating and then use two hands to twist off the rubber lamp assembly....sometimes it takes constant pressure of several seconds before it break loose.

As for hot water, I am not a physics major, but I think most things expand when they get got. Its possible that the plastic expands more than the rubber assembly, so maybe try putting in the fridge to see if it contracts more??

The fridge is not a bad idea. That said, ideally, you want warm air in the casing, which expands and give positive pressure to open the light, instead of the slight vacuum the cold air (contracted) would give.

Another thought is to soak it in warm water while agitating it for a good long duration, to try to dissolve any salt deposits that may be helping gum up the works.

You might want to try the old plumber's trick of some soap on the threads next time you use it, once you get it back open.

But sadly, brute strength may be your only real option to getting that sucker off. Perhaps a friend can help? Or perhaps a WELL-PADDED vice to keep the square part from rotating while you try to rotate the bezel?

Once you do get it open change the O-Ring beleive me I have had the same prob before and once it was changed it wasnt so Bad to open.

Try one of the rubber strap wrenchs easiest if one person holds it down flat (light) on the edge of a table while the other turns it.

NorthernShrinkage:
Once you do get it open change the O-Ring beleive me I have had the same prob before and once it was changed it wasnt so Bad to open.

Try one of the rubber strap wrenchs easiest if one person holds it down flat (light) on the edge of a table while the other turns it.
I cracked mine with a strap wrench http://www.hardwareworld.com/Rubber-Strap-Wrench-p10K9NI.aspx Mine had already flooded, so cracking the clear plastic under the rubber bezzel wasn't much of an added big deal. Underwater Kinetics actually replaced it under warranty, so I was only out the cost of shipping, and the time without my brightest light.

Back
Top Bottom