Opinions on BEST Basic Computer (new diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also look at the Hollis DG02. Cheap but supports nitrox, has a gauge mode, automatic altitude adjustment, backlight, deepstops etc.

Great info... but you're killing me... I had it narrowed down between the Suunto Zoop and Mares Puck, now Adonama throw the Hollis in there.... I was leaning toward Mares Puck but now I'm considering the Hollis DG02 because of the auto altitude capability... I eventually want to visit my daughter in CA. who is only 2 hours from Lake Tahoe and would like to dive there. Thinking of taking the altitude course while I'm there.

I have a Mares Puck. Simple, cheap, straightforward. ....
and now available in divePAL too :wink:

divepal_20110926_puck.jpg

I forgot I posted this :wink:

All great info. Did get her a Gekko (which she thinks is too big lol)

Coincidentally the Gekko (with 9 Fresh Water dives) is now for SALE

PM me if anyone is interested.

And yes my friend, Dive Pal is GREAT. Use it all the time.

Good stuff

I like and use the Aeris stuff. The XR1 is rather cheap and a solid puter, but is bigish. If you want a watch sized computer you may end up spending more. I love my Epic but AI and not cheap. I use it as a watch on vacation. But who wears digital watches full time! :eyebrow:

The thing I don't like about the Mares puck is the complete lack of a Nitrogen Bar; It will tell you NDL time remaining but gives you no indication of how "loaded" you are; the main reason I ruled it out as an option a year ago.

I had XR1 upgraded to XR2 when I did nitrox cert. Good for basic computer if 1 button nav doesn't bother you. I suspect it's basically the same as the puck but it does have nitrogen loading bar.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Okay so I did all my research... Started on ediving comparing the ones I was most interested in, Vyper, Zoop, Puck, DG02, ReactPro, and Cressi Arhimede II. I checked all the features and the one with the best features is the DG02... It and the ReactPro are the only ones with auto altitude adjusting. The DG 02 had nitro and O2 loading bar graph, where Mares doesn't have either. I have time before I pull the trigger on this one. Any thoughts? The only dealer shop online selling Suunto seems to be LP. I price compared all of them with three major online store and all are roughly the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom