Opinions on drysuit dump valve placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
I've been closing the drysuit valve after taking the squeeze of at 30 feet on the decent. when I start to ascend , I open the valve 1/2 of a turn to dump . I'm interested to know the veiw of the DIR folks on this practice. I don't use the suit for buoancy so out of controled ascent hasn't been a problem.

I wouldn't think anybody would have a problem with that Nova. As far as the forearm/cuff dump goes, all I can say is there are some within DIR that think it's a good idea and some (GI3 and the WKPP guys) who think it's a very bad idea. Personally, I'm getting ready to order a new DUI and it's going on the shoulder.

On my new TLS I specified (with a diagram) shoulder placment (between the bicep and tricep) just down the center line of the arm. It's easy to reach with my right hand and when I'm horizontal it's pointed dead straight up. It vents really easy and I dive it wide open at all times.

Oh yea, it's a SI Tech by the way.

You can see the valve on my profile picture. I'm pretty happy with it.

CALI68:
On my new TLS I specified (with a diagram) shoulder placment (between the bicep and tricep) just down the center line of the arm. It's easy to reach with my right hand and when I'm horizontal it's pointed dead straight up. It vents really easy and I dive it wide open at all times.

Oh yea, it's a SI Tech by the way.

You can see the valve on my profile picture. I'm pretty happy with it.
Do you have any problems with gas bleeding off with the valve wide open at all times? this is interesting becuase the reason I started closing my valve was because it would dump when I was doing any task that raised my hands above my head( photos, shooting a bag, ect.) and effect my buoancy.

What make of valve is on your suit?

I'm having my valve moved from my bicep to my forearm next week. Can anyone tell me the 'proper' placement of the valve on the forearm? Should it be on the outer part of the forearm?

Lay on your stomach on the floor with your arms out in front of you. Keeping your elbow on the floor raise your forearm. Using a marker pen draw a 2" circle on your arm (or shirt if you are wearing long sleeves) in the position of maximal dumpage.

You can skip the marking part if you can remember the location without it. :D

BTW... you don't want it to close to the wrist if you use drygloves or installing the rings will be a real pain. Also remember to leave enough room for a wrist mounted compass.

Since it seems that everyone is for the forearm position, I thought I'd say something for the left shoulder. Since most rentals I've found were placed there, it's nice to be comfortable with the standard. On my last dry suit dive another divers seal burst while suiting up and he went to the local shop to pick up a rental for the day. Diving the rental was no different for him than his own gear. Not much of a plus, but something to consider.

As for autodumping. I'm left handed, so I dump accidently if I have the valve wide open. I turn it down signinfcantly so I don't have to stick my hand in my belt to keep me from pointing with it. Although I don't have one, I'm sure having it on the forearm would be easier to purge purposesly but would be the same accidental purge for those of us who can't keep our left hand still.

Uncle Pug:
Lay on your stomach on the floor with your arms out in front of you. Keeping your elbow on the floor raise your forearm. Using a marker pen draw a 2" circle on your arm (or shirt if you are wearing long sleeves) in the position of maximal dumpage.

BTW... you don't want it to close to the wrist if you use drygloves or installing the rings will be a real pain. Also remember to leave enough room for a wrist mounted compass.
In this picture of you, it looks like the valve is almost at your elbow. Or am I seeing it wrong?? (Thinking of moving mine soon).

I keep my valve open (forearm or upperarm - I have two different suits) and allow as much air to escape as will. The undergarment itself keeps the squeeze from being excessive. I use my wing for buoyancy control. So.. there is no such thing as accidental dumping for me.

Going back and forth between upperarm dump (commonly called shoulder dump) and forearm dump does take a bit of adjustment but certainly nothing that can't be handled by the average diver. And that isn't something that most folks would or should really consider when choosing the location of their exhaust valve.

Yep. The wrist dump can make putting on a ring system tough. The key here is to leave enough latex between the ring and the suit material or it will be darn near imposible to pull the ring through. Most people place the ridge too close to the drysuit material. You should still have enough material for the inside wrist seal when doing this.

The best place for the dump is inline with the thumb. As you described below, add the desription rotate your arm till the thumb is pointed straight up. That will be the best and most comfortable position.

Uncle Pug:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom