Orlando Again.... Maybe a sticky is in order?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone,

I am headed to Orlando again in a couple of weeks and find myself trying to make dive plans with less information than would be ideal.

I was down last year and had the awesome luck of hooking up with JupiterMaid and NJMike. I had a fantastic time diving Jupiter and spending SI with great folks.

Unfortunately I have only managed two dives since then and am sure that diving Jupiter is the best choice for getting back in the water after such a dry spell.

I have managed to find some info on Spring diving as well as bits of info on shore diving South of Jupiter. Unfortunately not enough info for me to put together a good trip plan.

I see how often Orlando questions are asked and am reminded of my first trip to Catalina Island (CA) and how helpful the Sticky they placed to address the frequent occurance of the same question.

Anyway.... Could you all let me know if January is a good time to be looking at shore diving at Palm Beach?? Would I be better off looking at the springs? I did call two of the Parks where the springs are located and was told that they wee closed to SCUBA for the season because of manatee activity. Best spring diving closest to Orlando??

Thanks

Steve

Hey Everyone,

I am headed to Orlando again in a couple of weeks and find myself trying to make dive plans with less information than would be ideal.

I was down last year and had the awesome luck of hooking up with JupiterMaid and NJMike. I had a fantastic time diving Jupiter and spending SI with great folks.

Unfortunately I have only managed two dives since then and am sure that diving Jupiter is the best choice for getting back in the water after such a dry spell.

I have managed to find some info on Spring diving as well as bits of info on shore diving South of Jupiter. Unfortunately not enough info for me to put together a good trip plan.

I see how often Orlando questions are asked and am reminded of my first trip to Catalina Island (CA) and how helpful the Sticky they placed to address the frequent occurance of the same question.

Anyway.... Could you all let me know if January is a good time to be looking at shore diving at Palm Beach?? Would I be better off looking at the springs? I did call two of the Parks where the springs are located and was told that they wee closed to SCUBA for the season because of manatee activity. Best spring diving closest to Orlando??

Thanks

Steve

Shore diving (especially solo) is inherently more dangerous than boat diving with a DM. If you think you've been dry too long for Jupiter to be suitable, you could drive another 15 minutes south to Riviera Beach or another 30 minutes south to Boynton Beach. You've also got Blue Heron Bridge diving.

i might be looking into a BHB dive some weekend day with an afternoon high tide. I would love to join in.

This is assuming my drysuit comes in time.that water is too chilly for me.

I think ALL diving in state parks has been put on hold due to the recommendations of OSHA. I volunteer cleaning windows at Weeki Wachee State Park and they have suspended our operation indefinitely until they get things worked out. (It is my understanding this is a state wide diving ban at state parks)

Best Spring Diving closest to Orlando:

• Alexander Springs (Paisely Fl) (never closes for manatee that I know of).
  • Blue Spring (Orange City) (closes for manatees)
  • Paradise Spring (Bellview Fl)
  • Devil's Den (Ocala)
  • Blue Grotto (Ocala) (My least favorite).

Cool FW Spots near Orlando:

• Hudson Grotto (Hudson Fl)

Great SW dives near Orlando:

• Venice Beach: home of the Megladon.
  • Blue Heron Bridge (West Palm) Macro photography at it's finest.
  • Two Georges Marina (Boynton Beach)

Deepstops,

I don't practice or condone solo diving without proper training and preparation. I do, however, enjoy shore diving and don't think of it as notably more dangerous than boat diving IF proper care is taken.

My reason for looking towards shore diving is that I don't think that the 80'-90'+ dives that we did off of Jupiter are appropriate for someone who has not been diving much in the last year.
I would prefer making some less demanding dives to freshen up my skills first.

NetDoc,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a favorite spring dive and is there enough variety to warrant two days diving?

Thanks

Steve

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom