Orlando Again.... Maybe a sticky is in order?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I would like to see is ScubaBoard develop a dive sites map based on GoogleMaps like the sex offender registry. It has been tried locally by a few dive shops/clubs/boards but here it might actually grow to something really useful. Another thread has some guys looking for numbers to dive off Myrtle Beach, and a lot of dive ops would have you believe these are super secret, but they are not. Most are available freely with some digging.

Anhoo. My 2 cents.

NetDoc,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a favorite spring dive and is there enough variety to warrant two days diving?

Thanks

Steve

Steve, check out my Florida Freshwater Springs page. Scroll down to about mid page to find a table with information on what springs are suited to what levels of training. Scroll below that to see the areas of Florida the springs are in.

At the OW level (read not cavern trained), for the time of year you are asking about, my recommendations would be Alexander Spring, Crystal River, and Rainbow River. Alexander is predominantly OW with a max depth about 25' and is good for a dive, maybe 2, but is the closest to Orlando. Crystal River doesn't actually have any OW diving, but it's great for snorkeling with the manatees and this is the perfect time of year for that. Rainbow River is a great place to see a lot of life during an effortless drift dive.

With 2 free days and what looks like might be regular trips to Florida, you may want to consider taking a cavern course. It will open up your diving possibilities quite a bit.

Wow,

I am a bit surprised by the response...... I have seen posts by members visiting Orlando asking for dive info repeatedly. I didn't think I was unique...........

Rob,

Good to hear from you. How is FL treating you? Not quite AZ!!! Much to my amazement I dove more when I lived in the middle of the Mohave Desert than I do now. I never thought I would miss Lake Mohave & Lake Mead.... I will have a look at your page & I do have in mind a cavern course but not until I can get back to diving regularly. I find myself back to looking for easy dives because I have not been diving enough.

Hmmm... I may have hit on something there...... Not diving often enough is a serious safety issue..... I must dive more often for safety sake....

Hey Everyone,

I am headed to Orlando again in a couple of weeks and find myself trying to make dive plans with less information than would be ideal........

I see how often Orlando questions are asked and am reminded of my first trip to Catalina Island (CA) and how helpful the Sticky they placed to address the frequent occurance of the same question........

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve. I'm great. Loving living in North Florida. I do miss AZ every now and then, though.

And I agree with you. I answer Orlando diving questions at least a couple times a month.

Ron,

I was looking over your site and and my lack of local info still leaves me wondering which sites would be best for me as an O/W diver traveling out of Orlando and wanting two days of diving.
Troy Srping & Rainbow River look interesting but I am not sure that they are a reasonable trip from Orlando. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

Steve

Troy will probably still be flooded during your trip. Crystal River Rainbow River can be done. It's about a 3 hour drive so you'll be up early but I did it my 1st trip to Florida as a diver. Alexander is a lot closer and is also a good Ow site. Other than that there's not much in the way of springs. You can always check if any charters are heading out on the east coast. There are some wrecks out that way.

NetDoc,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a favorite spring dive and is there enough variety to warrant two days diving?

Thanks

Steve
To see Florida as it once was: Alexander Springs. Plan SHALLOW (20 max) and look around the weed lines for some interesting scenery. Take a picnic and walk the boardwalks as well or try some canoeing. It's a wonderful area.

For the second day, plan to go south for some reef diving on the east coast (Boynton Beach) or fossil diving on the west (Venice).

Alexander Springs is indeed breathtaking. I camped there as well but was a bit frightened by the wild boar crashing through the campground! Pete, are those still there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom