Ouch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, as far as I know, scuba diving deaths are quite low given how many dives take place. I have seen a figure of 90 deaths a year since the 1980s, which has remained steady despite more people diving now. A DAN study quoted 11-18 deaths per 100,000 divers, which was extrapolated from DAN members, so you could argue against those figures though... A HSE study puts the risk at 1 death per 200,000 dives Risk Education Statistics. Driving a car is a great deal more risky than diving, for a comparison.
Yeah....but driving a car isn't a sport. How about comparing it to sky-diving deaths, or other "extreme" sports?

You sure as hell don't get 90 people a year dying playing football, or cricket, or baseball etc etc.

Driving a car is a much riskier activity than diving and yet most people don't bat an eyelid when you say you drive a car around. That is why I don't think scuba diving should be considered a very risky thing, as it isn't, when you compare it to driving :)

Well that HSE study shows that hanggliding is more dangerous than scuba. Ski diving deaths in 2008 total 41 so far, and seem to average 60-70 deaths a year. One study put the death rate at 1 per 70130 sky dives per year. So a fair bit more dangerous than scuba diving...

One thing is for sure, I would never even think of trying out rocking chair riding. There have just been way too many deaths of people riding rocking chairs in old age homes.:wink:
classic-rocking-chair.jpg

That is why I don't think scuba diving should be considered a very risky thing, as it isn't, when you compare it to driving :)
I'm not sure if you quite understand what i'm trying to get at.

Scuba diving is normally safe - when nothing goes wrong. Given the reliability of equipment that's most of the time. However - anyone who doesn't realize what they are actually doing every time they venture into an environment that they cannot survive in without their equipment is taking a chance. Playing that chance down, negating it with complacency just because most get out OK, is potentially extremely dangerous.

All I'm saying is that I do view scuba as an "extreme" sport - because that makes me pay attention, double check stuff, make plans....all for the purpose of increasing the chance of survival. IMO - ANY sport where you need to plan for an increased chance of survival is by definition "extreme". That doesn't mean it's stupid.....it just means one should be fully aware of what's at stake..... and realize WHY you have to be a "thinking" diver.

At least that's how I approach it. :wink:

I'm not sure if you quite understand what i'm trying to get at.

Scuba diving is normally safe - when nothing goes wrong. Given the reliability of equipment that's most of the time. However - anyone who doesn't realize what they are actually doing every time they venture into an environment that they cannot survive in without their equipment is taking a chance. Playing that chance down, negating it with complacency just because most get out OK, is potentially extremely dangerous.

All I'm saying is that I do view scuba as an "extreme" sport - because that makes me pay attention, double check stuff, make plans....all for the purpose of increasing the chance of survival. IMO - ANY sport where you need to plan for an increased chance of survival is by definition "extreme". That doesn't mean it's stupid.....it just means one should be fully aware of what's at stake..... and realize WHY you have to be a "thinking" diver.

At least that's how I approach it. :wink:

Oh ok! Yea sorry I was definitely misunderstanding you. And I agree with your post for sure. I was just taking a different meaning of the word 'extreme' :)

Yeah....but driving a car isn't a sport. How about comparing it to sky-diving deaths, or other "extreme" sports?

You sure as hell don't get 90 people a year dying playing football, or cricket, or baseball etc etc.
When I where skydiving, the reserve chute was deployed on average once every 400 jumps and in the vast majority of cases thats not a big deal other than the case of beer youll have to buy the other jumpers :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom