Shooting yourself in the foot (slightly graphic warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBoard writing workshop for the day. Come up with a story for this picture...

It was a dark and stormy night...

There I was, at 45m, low on air, with a great white shark circling aggressively. I didn’t know how I could fend off the monster, armed only with a little pole spear and with my buddy nowhere in sight. The shark came straight at me, head on, it's huge jaw opened wide. Desperate and alone, I figured the only way to injure the huge beast enough for me to get away would be to send my spear straight down it's gullet. It somehow worked! The shark thrashed and swam away to the deep while I raced to the surface. I flopped into the boat, grateful to be out of the water and away from the hungry shark. As I scanned the surface, looking for my buddy, I pulled up the line attached to the spear...and then, to my horror, found my dive buddy!

In Boy Scouts they taught us that if we got a barbed fishhook in a finger, we could push it (rotate it) on through, and then clip off the barb, and then pull it back out. I'll bet that wouldn't feel very good with a barbed spear.

In Boy Scouts they taught us that if we got a barbed fishhook in a finger, we could push it (rotate it) on through, and then clip off the barb, and then pull it back out. I'll bet that wouldn't feel very good with a barbed spear.

A bit big for that. Assuming no ER, cut a path for the barb, if any as my pole spear has none, and pull it back out.

I put a 16 penny framing nail through my hand after it ricochet off a knot, I wrapped it and went back to work. Don't think I could do it if I had 3 of them in me.

Ouch!
Having endured an incident years back involving a pneumatic nail gun and the top of my foot, I really became uncomfortable seeing that.....
Years ago we had a carpenter that shot a nail through the top of his boot when he reached the floor coming down a ladder. Being a ring shanked nail we were only able to snap the head off trying to pull it... so we cut the small section of floor decking around his foot and took him to urgent care attached to the piece of plywood. The nurse took one look and asked, " How long did you hammer before you realized that was your foot?"

16 twist...(framing nail) flush to the top of my foot. I hopped to a window sill. put my foot on the sill, wiggled the tongue of my boot to lift it a bit, grabbed my cat's paw, and pulled it... my buddy immediately threw up.. Somehow I missed every bone.

16 twist...(framing nail) flush to the top of my foot. I hopped to a window sill. put my foot on the sill, wiggled the tongue of my boot to lift it a bit, grabbed my cat's paw, and pulled it... my buddy immediately threw up.. Somehow I missed every bone.

I don't think they build em like they used to!!

I have been know to use duct tape, super glue, rags, and electrical tape to bandage up some pretty gnarly wounds and get back at it. Just have to keep the blood off the project. You do what you have to do.

Actually, the idea of leaving a nail in grosses me out way more than pulling it out. I would need that to be out of my body asap, same with a splinter, lol.

Actually, the idea of leaving a nail in grosses me out way more than pulling it out. I would need that to be out of my body asap, same with a splinter, lol.
I just didn't belong there....

Doctor at the hospital said if I had shown up with it in my foot, they would have opened me up a crazy amount..... Antibiotics and a few days rest, and back at it. I do have a bone spur in there now that will grate on a ligament once and a while if I move it a certain way...

I just didn't belong there....

Doctor at the hospital said if I had shown up with it in my foot, they would have opened me up a crazy amount..... Antibiotics and a few days rest, and back at it. I do have a bone spur in there now that will grate on a ligament once and a while if I move it a certain way...
I laugh because I've been there.... go to the doctor and they say I'm either an idiot or I did a pretty good job, not much in between.

It's always my wife that makes me go at some point if it's bad enough.

Ouch!

Years ago we had a carpenter that shot a nail through the top of his boot when he reached the floor coming down a ladder. Being a ring shanked nail we were only able to snap the head off trying to pull it... so we cut the small section of floor decking around his foot and took him to urgent care attached to the piece of plywood. The nurse took one look and asked, " How long did you hammer before you realized that was your foot?"

We had one of those, too, only the guy was wearing steel-toes. We couldn't get the boot off, they couldn't X-Ray him at ER and see if the nail was lodged close to anything important, lots of fun was had by all. (On the plus side it was a single short plank so no floor decking was hurt in the process.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom