Shooting yourself in the foot (slightly graphic warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

possible back-story: the DM asked where my cramp was.... being bad at hand signals, I pointed...

Could have been one of those long pole spears that has a trigger.
Let's ask Dano's @MAKO Spearguns thoughts since he also has extensive experience with pole spear and Mako is a supplier of a pole spear 'Resting Hook' (associated with a trigger, but not a trigger)

Picture credit = Mako Spearguns
PoleSpearRestingHook.jpg

Looks pretty vicious, copied from the reddit that @DandyDon linked.

"I did not actually shoot myself. It happened while I was swimming. I was holding the butt end in my hand and the spear tip was towards my feet. Ran into a rock with my hand. The spear stopped, I kept going and speared myself. 1/10 would not recommend. Severed some tendons now I have a gimpy toe."

I'm not a spearo yet, is that a lionfish spear?

I'm not a spearo yet, is that a lionfish spear?
Possibly. At the very least it could be used for lionfish. For the most part, a lionfish polespear is essentially the same as a regular polespear.

Lionfish polespears tend to be much shorter than traditional polespears. Lionfish feel pretty safe and generally don't keep their distance, so a long spear is not required to take longer shots.

Based on the comment you posted, I'm thinking this is probably a lionfish spear as the regular polespears are pretty long, and I would envision the business end would be past the foot if a normal sized human were to hold the other end in his/her hand.

It is a good tip for flounders, and other fish that are probably less than 8 lbs (including lionfish) when using a pole spear. Generally it is probably safest to keep a spear pointing forward so that you can see where it is pointing.

Also a longer spear can be safer in many cases than a short one. It is harder to get yourself in front of a longer pole spear or speargun.

So it looks like a paralyzer tip on a pole spear to me too. I have a 3' one I use for lionfish hunting. The little bastards aren't afraid of much so I can usually get within a foot (no pun intended) of them before I take the shot. I can't figure out how they got shot in the foot but something tells me carelessness was involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom