Shooting yourself in the foot (slightly graphic warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterglutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ouch. I have no idea what is the story behind the photo.

1643809914169.png

Looks like someone shot themself with a lionfish pole-spear.

Where did you find the photo?

It's probably a better story at the ER than, "I don't know how that torch got up my bum, doc. I must have sat on it".

ScubaBoard writing workshop for the day. Come up with a story for this picture...

Looks like someone shot themself with a lionfish pole-spear.
For the owner of the foot's sake, I hope it was a lionfish pole-spear and not a regular pole-spear. Lionfish polespears, usually don't have barbs so the lionfish can be easily removed with Zookeeper type devices. Usually, but not always.

Looks like there may be a barb just showing outside of the rubber of the fin.

Ouch.

Just from a spearo's perspective,,,,I don't think it was a pole spear. They just don't have the power in the thin bands to get that deep, especially the rubber part. And to get that much power, it's going to be on a 7ft long pole spear which would be difficult holding it at the straight up angle shown. The picture is closely cropped and can't see what the silver neck above the 3 prongs is attached to. It could be a screw on to a short pneumatic gun which would absolutely have a enough power to punch that deep. Many free-divers in Europe use short 3ft long pneumatic guns and 3 pronger's are a very effective way to harvest fish around rocks.

I'll defer to SB member @100days-a-year -Tony. He shoots a 3 prong tip regularly on his speargun and is extremely efficient with it. He could speak to depth of the prongs shown in the picture.

Just from a spearo's perspective,,,,I don't think it was a pole spear. They just don't have the power in the thin bands to get that deep, especially the rubber part. And to get that much power, it's going to be on a 7ft long pole spear which would be difficult holding it at the straight up angle shown.

Could have been one of those long pole spears that has a trigger. The pole itself looks quite large for a gun...but I guess it could just be the angle..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom