Shooting yourself in the foot (slightly graphic warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So many fun recollections from my construction days....... roof surfing, nail gun incidents. Concrete form colapses,, scaffold fails. Etc. Etc...........

Was this before OSHA?

Let's ask Dano's @MAKO Spearguns thoughts since he also has extensive experience with pole spear and Mako is a supplier of a pole spear 'Resting Hook' (associated with a trigger, but not a trigger)

Picture credit = Mako Spearguns
View attachment 704839

I guess we heard how the accident happened, it was not someone actually shooting themselves in the foot. The pole spear resting hook (that John was so nice to post) allows the spear to remain "loaded" without tiring a person's hand.

In general, it is best to keep the pointy end of things away from people. That includes pole spear, spearguns, knives etc. I don't think a resting hook would make it more likely that a person could be impaled on a pole spear.

thanks
dano

I laugh because I've been there.... go to the doctor and they say I'm either an idiot or I did a pretty good job, not much in between.

It's always my wife that makes me go at some point if it's bad enough.

I usually get both a good job for patching up, but I'm an idiot for not going in first.

Was this before OSHA?

OSHA is supposed to stop accidents, they never do.

Just from a spearo's perspective,,,,I don't think it was a pole spear. They just don't have the power in the thin bands to get that deep, especially the rubber part. And to get that much power, it's going to be on a 7ft long pole spear which would be difficult holding it at the straight up angle shown. The picture is closely cropped and can't see what the silver neck above the 3 prongs is attached to. It could be a screw on to a short pneumatic gun which would absolutely have a enough power to punch that deep. Many free-divers in Europe use short 3ft long pneumatic guns and 3 pronger's are a very effective way to harvest fish around rocks.

I'll defer to SB member @100days-a-year -Tony. He shoots a 3 prong tip regularly on his speargun and is extremely efficient with it. He could speak to depth of the prongs shown in the picture.
1 barb appesrs to be jist about to penetrate the fin. Having had a competitor step on my foot wearing spikes when I ran track I can verify the sensitivity of the area. Bleeds a lot too.

Having endured an incident years back involving a pneumatic nail gun and the top of my foot, I really became uncomfortable seeing that.....
Bob, when I was managing the lodge in Tobermory 100 years ago, we built some new buildings. One of the builders managed to nail his foot to a new sheet of plywood up on the roof with a nailer. His chums sawed a 1' square hunk out of the sheet, and schlepped the poor guy off to the hospital in Lions Head to have him de-nailed. I tagged along, as I was effectively the general contractor.

As he was waiting for a Doctor to free him, this lovely nurse with many year's experience was talking to our guy, taking notes, and I overheard her ask him, "When you first felt the nail going into your foot, why didn't you stop hammering?" o_O

OMG been there done that with the nail gun. I used to work in a mobile home manufacturing facility (trailer plant) I have shot nails and staples into both feet and hands usually just pulled them out and kept on working. I did make sure my tetanus shot was always up to date.

OMG been there done that with the nail gun. I used to work in a mobile home manufacturing facility (trailer plant) I have shot nails and staples into both feet and hands usually just pulled them out and kept on working. I did make sure my tetanus shot was always up to date.

Isn't that a stigmata? You can get paid for that, you know. But you'd probably have to go on tour.

Back
Top Bottom