Over The Counter Sudafed Sends Utah Woman To Jail In Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

really? I take it with me all the time down there!! :-O
Yep, many of us do. I'm just careful to not take more than needed as indicated by instructions. I take the 4/day pill so take 24-28 for a week. I hardly ever use 4/day, but the important thing is I don't take a lot more than I could possibly need according to instructions.

I bring it with me to Cozumel to help my sinuses after several days of diving. Will just bring enough so I dont have nay to bring out with me when I leave. No problemo.

How does that help? She was caught on the way in, not the way out.

Oh i thought I read they were leaving. Ug.....

DandyDon, I thought she didn't have a full pack, so your solution won't help you should Customs decide to implement this everywhere.

DandyDon, I thought she didn't have a full pack, so your solution won't help you should Customs decide to implement this everywhere.
Yeah, her story is that she only had a few tabs I think. Once she paid the fine, they offered to give them back, and told her she could buy more at a store around the corner. It's all a bit far fetched to me, but I don't guess we're going to get any other versions of the story.

My approach is to simply illustrate that I brought only enough for my own personal use and not to supply a meth lab.

Yeah, her story is that she only had a few tabs I think. Once she paid the fine, they offered to give them back, and told her she could buy more at a store around the corner. It's all a bit far fetched to me, but I don't guess we're going to get any other versions of the story.

My approach is to simply illustrate that I brought only enough for my own personal use and not to supply a meth lab.
I don't think that would make any difference in what was an obvious gringo shakedown. I think you'd be better off looking like you had no money.

This is nothing new; I have seen stories just like this one a few times over the last few years. Thankfully, Cozumel is relatively free of such nonsense.

Last edited:
This is nothing new; I have seen stories just like this one a few times over the last few years. Thankfully, Cozumel is relatively free of such nonsense.

I'm very impressed with the people who live and work in Cozumel......they all know that their "prosperity" (relatively speaking) comes from tourism and do everything they can to keep it that way.

Would getting your doctor to write a prescription or a letter prevent this problem if you carry only enough for personal use? This kind of freaks me out. I've been coming to Cozumel for years, and my husband and I often really need the Sudafed to prevent equalization problems. I dang sure don't want to have to pay a big "fine", land in jail OR have difficulty diving on my dive vacation.

Yep, many of us do. I'm just careful to not take more than needed as indicated by instructions. I take the 4/day pill so take 24-28 for a week. I hardly ever use 4/day, but the important thing is I don't take a lot more than I could possibly need according to instructions.

yeah, that's pretty much what we do too.

Something that strikes me as interesting and not congruent about the story is the whole "You can go to the pharmacy around the corner and get some more" aspect. They could have just been giving her the business, but pseudoephedrine is actually outlawed in Mexico and can't be sold at all.

Back
Top Bottom