Overweight concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosewater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to move from snorkeling to scuba diving. Unfortunately I am extremely overweight. I was going to get certified a few years ago, but felt very uncomfortable being so large. The dive instructor did nothing to ease my concerns so I bowed out of the lessons (He stopped just short of openly calling me fat as some other students tried on wet suits). I tried a resort dive last year and had no problems. Well, I had problems staying neutral, but having no lessons, I think I did ok.

I am now working out 5-6 days a week. I haven’t lost any weight, but my cardiovascular endurance is raising steadily. I can easy pass the swim test involved (I can swim and tread water for hours). Here are my questions:

Should I wait till I lose weight to get certified?
Do they make wet suits for larger people? All the ones I found are a few sizes too small. I need a size 20-22 women’s.

I do most of my snorkeling in Florida, but I also want to dive in Missouri (where I’m from). The water in MO is cold at deeper levels so I know I’ll need a wet suit to really take full advantage of being a certified diver.

If you can do the swim test with ease, are still working out and have you doctors blessing then go then go for it.

Don't give the wetsuit a second thought. The exposure protection forum is full of recomendations of custom suit makers that give divers like yourself the keys to a whole new world. There are threads you will find helpful on the first page right now.

Pete

I agree if the doc's say it is ok...I workout 3-4 times a week to keep in shape to dive kind of motivation to work on the habitrails.

You may want to consider a drysuit. Loose fitting and comfortable but, expensive.

Welcome to the board and to diving. You are taking the right approach by getting into shape. I think most people will agree with me here that weight is not so much an issue as health. With poor cardiovascular health, regardless of weight, you run several risks in diving, from non-life threatening such as increased gas-consuption (your dives would be over faster) to very life threatening such as increased risk of the bends. On the other hand, regardless of your weight, if your cardiovascular fitness is good then there should be no problems. If you can pass the swim test you should be in good enough shape to safely enjoy diving. If you are still concerned about it, set your personal bar higher than the minimum and don't settle till you reach it. Good luck!

A

One of the instructors on my OW last year was a big guy and he lost 60+ pounds after he started diving, and he's still a big guy. He attributes hit weight loss to diving.

Don't let it stop you, you might just end up on the road to better living, better self image and a healthier weight :)

Good luck.

Bjorn

Go for it, as long as you can do the swiming test there is no reason you should not join us in the water.
An interesting side effect of diving is energy consumption. The water is cold, even in the caribean.This means that you metabolism has to step up a level just to keep you warm allowing you to burn a lot of energy while doing a long and relaxing dive.
Add to that drinking and diving don't mix, I always manage to loose wait when I am on a diving holiday even though I eat much more than usual.

Welcome to SB Rosewater! Diving is a great source of exercise! I alway shed many pounds when diving season rolls around. Good Luck!

Welcome Rosewater!

Like you I put off things (diving is NOT one of them) until I lose weight, example...I don't buy that nice new outfit because I don't want to waste the money while I'm "this weight". I'm sure not thrilled about how I look in a wetsuit (not even the thinner girls are either I'm told) but the joy of diving shouldn't wait if your doc gives you the go-ahead...life is too short to wait for the cosmetic side of life to catch up with the healthy side. :thumb:

Check out the Leisure Pro site, and look for the Akona brand. They have suits up to 5X. And they are fairly inexpensive in comparison. (Plus, for what it's worth, Scuba Diving magazine just rated them rather highly in their tests)

I ordered a 4X & 5X tried them on and sent back the one that didn't fit, if you do it within 14 days no charge except for postage if my memory serves me.

http://www.leisurepro.com/

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom