Overweight concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that when I dive, I loose weight. I think that it is a great way to stay in shape. Loosing weight will help with your air consumption. If you weight more, you will use more air.

Rosewater:
I want to move from snorkeling to scuba diving. Unfortunately I am extremely overweight. I was going to get certified a few years ago, but felt very uncomfortable being so large. The dive instructor did nothing to ease my concerns so I bowed out of the lessons (He stopped just short of openly calling me fat as some other students tried on wet suits). I tried a resort dive last year and had no problems. Well, I had problems staying neutral, but having no lessons, I think I did ok.

I am now working out 5-6 days a week. I haven’t lost any weight, but my cardiovascular endurance is raising steadily. I can easy pass the swim test involved (I can swim and tread water for hours). Here are my questions:

Should I wait till I lose weight to get certified?
Do they make wet suits for larger people? All the ones I found are a few sizes too small. I need a size 20-22 women’s.

I do most of my snorkeling in Florida, but I also want to dive in Missouri (where I’m from). The water in MO is cold at deeper levels so I know I’ll need a wet suit to really take full advantage of being a certified diver.

size 20-22 is NOT too large to scuba dive.....during the years that I have been cetified I have varied in size and the only difference was the amount of weight I need to sink. and if I would dive more often I could probably not worry about that. As far as a wet suit..I doubt you will have trouble finding one. if you do...check firehouse ..they supply firefighters and other rescue professionals. I myself seldom wear a wet suit as I am usually in warm water ( I know..protection, protection,protection)....SO GO GET CERTIFIED AND ENJOY LIFE..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom