Overweight concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for everyone's responses. I'll check out some of the suggested suits and companies. I've wanted to dive for years. I think I'm going to go for it! I'm sure that you'll see me around the boards!

I say.... go DIVING! Let me tell you this.... You said you are about 20/22 size. Well, I'm a 24/26 size (I have a total of 120 lbs to lose). I've just started my "quest" to lose weight, as you may have seen the thread I started a few days ago. I got a huge number of replies.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=140643

You should check it out when you have time. There's lots of great info..... but, don't wait to lose weight. I will be getting in the quarries in Indiana just as soon as they warm up. I just want to be down 50 lbs (my goal) by december.

What I have found on this board, and with the thread I posted, is that everyone is supportive that you are able to dive, and you do it! Soooo, all that being said, I'm diving WPB during my anniversary vacation! And If I look like a whale, manatee, or a goliath grouper, oh well! And if someone has a mean comment to make, well, I'll pushem off the back of the boat on the way to the dive site!! LOL (kidding) But they CAN be nice or turn their googlie eyes the other way. I'll be where the fun is!!

I too am self conscious about how I look in swimsuits and wetsuits. Luckily when I started learning to dive there were others in the class incl. the instructor who didn't exactly look like Brad Pitt in their Speedos and each time I dive I feel better about it because when we get back in the boat we talk about what we saw and experienced, not what we looked like when we were playing with the seal lions. :D Go have fun, learn new stuff, and see a whole new world.

You know, I've never heard anyone talk about what anyone looked like in wetsuits. We all look like seals or powerrangers. :D

I am about 50-60lbs overweight and I just got certified a few weeks ago and now have 5 dives in and am leaving for the Keys this comming Fri. I have no regrets about doing something I have wanted to do since I was a little boy and I would reccomend just finding another instructor. One piece of advise is always have plenty of weight; me and my dive buddy used 88lbs of weight on our last dive.

When your time comes to an end you will regret the things you didn't do more than any thing you did do.

I say GO FOR IT!!! Diving is an incredible experience. I too am a big girl and I did let that stop me for a while, but not now. I went with a custom wetsuit since the stock wetsuits for my weight say I should be at least 6'0 when I am only 5'5 so the proportions are all wrong. The great advantages of a custom suit, it fits better than off the rack which means it will keep you warmer AND you can get it altered if/when you lose some pounds from hauling around all of that dive gear. I dive cold water (50-68) and have a custom 5mm hooded vest and a 7mm full body. I also have a custom 5mm full body for warmer water. I plan to get a custom fit drysuit someday but the wetsuits were much more economical.

One thing to keep in mind while diving as a bigger person, especially a bigger female, is that increased body fat can increase the risk of DCS as. Ways to deal with this are to dive within your limits (skills and physical abilites), do not over exert yourself, do not push the limits (stay conservative with no decompression limits) and get conservative dive computer or one that has options for how conservative the algorithim will run (mine has three settings).

Don't worry about air consumption rate because size does not always tell the story. I have a better air consumption rate than many of the girls who are smaller than me as well as better than at least 90% of the guys I dive with. This is due to being relaxed while diving which came from experience. Even if your consumption rate is higher than average, which is likely in the beginning, don't worry about it. We are all different physiologically, some within our control and some not. The goals are to have fun and stay safe. Air management is far more important than an extra five minutes of bottom time.

fringefan:
I am about 50-60lbs overweight and I just got certified a few weeks ago and now have 5 dives in and am leaving for the Keys this comming Fri. I have no regrets about doing something I have wanted to do since I was a little boy and I would reccomend just finding another instructor. One piece of advise is always have plenty of weight; me and my dive buddy used 88lbs of weight on our last dive.
OMG, what were you wearing? That's a lot of lead for 2!
When your time comes to an end you will regret the things you didn't do more than any thing you did do.
Right, even hear a eulogy that included how safe, sane, and careful the deceased was. Nah.

When they get ready to bury me, let them say: "He marched to a different drummer, or maybe a bagpipe - lived hard, played the edge, and lived, lived, lived." I hope so anyway. Nah, they'll probly sugar coat it. But I'll know I lived. :14:

IMO wetsuits are slimming.

Please, Please, please don't wait until you lose weight to learn to dive!! It's way too much fun to put it off for even a day!!

I'm a large woman... I wear a women's size 28. I'm 44 years old. I have almost 500 dives logged. I'm a PADI Instructor... and during the Dive Master fitness tests -- I kicked *****!!! I also organize groups of plus size women who want to learn to dive.

I've spent a bunch of time over the last five years working out solutions to some of the challenges that plus size divers encounter... and all I can say is that I can't encourage you enough!! Dive!! Dive!!

Feel free to contact me privately if you would like to discuss this more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom