Overwhelmed but Excited!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WanderingGal

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All - First time posting on Scuba Board in a looooong time and I'm in need of some advice. I've scoured the boards and just can't seem to decide which way to go...

My bf and I are experienced divers in our late 30's/early 40's. We like to have a good time with music and good food, we don't have kids and would rather be at an "Adult-oriented" resort. We'd like a nice pool or beach and dining options on-site. As for diving - I used to work as instructor internationally and he was a DM. We have hundreds of dives under our belts. The last few summers we've been on other non-dive focused locations for family reasons and "made do" with diving where we were (Puerto Rico, Bermuda). So.... this summer we want to do about 10 days totally FOCUSED on AMAZING diving, as such we're looking to go to Cozumel in July 2018.

What we can't decide is how to choose from all the options. Cost is a consideration, but not a major factor. We're more interested in have a good time and doing some great diving! Do we stay at all inclusive hotel for food and drinks and add on diving with an operation (along the lines Secrets plus Dive Paradise or other combinations)? Do we stay at all inclusive diving resort and go out to eat for dinner and drinks (ie Scuba Club)? Do we do something along the lines of Blue Angel? Allegro? We're just totally overwhelmed by the total number of options available!

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance and Happy Diving.

There are lots of choices for lodging, My favorite dive shop in Cozumel is Deep Blue Cozumel Diving: Deep Blue Cozumel ask to book with Aristeo Aristeo Perez Hernández We like to stay at Hotel Cozumel they have both AI and a Breakfast only option. Nice big pool and close enough to town to walk. We like to eat the evening meal in town. There are some amazing restuarnts in Coz. I can't say enough about Deep blue small fast boats, always go to the beach for SI, and they let you sleep in a little as they don't leave untill 9am. Plus they will do the southern sites.

If you stay in an all-inclusive on Cozumel you will be missing much of what San Miguel has to offer--great food! A place like Scuba Club is very quiet so if you want music you'll need to go downtown anyway so you may as well eat while there. I don't know if places like Hooters and Senor Frog's serve food but the music is definitely loud.

As for Scuba Club specifically, dinner is optional but having breakfast and lunch there can be very convenient.

I prefer a small B&B in town and a valet dive op. That way you get to dive with other experienced divers with a dive op that will get to know you so you can do your own thing. You also get a nice intimate setting with private amenities located close to lots of good restaurants and watering holes. Makes for a fun relaxing dive trip with lots of options. All IMHO, YMMV. Enjoy your trip. :)

Blue Angel sounds like the ticket for you. The food is good on-site, there's a dive shop (and shore diving on site if you opt to go with it), but I believe they allow any op to pick up there if the op is willing, and it's got a very social, convivial atmosphere. Sufficient restaurants and bars nearby. Close enough to walk to town (but I'd take a cab at night). Staying in town has its attractions but it limits your choice of dive ops somewhat to the handful of those who pick up in town, forcing you to figure out how to get to the caleta. Given your other criteria about on-site dining etc. I would choose Blue Angel. The other places I would like personally are probably too costly for you and for me!

I've never stayed at Blue Angel but I know people that have. Something in your post does sound like BA would be a good fit. As money isn't a huge factor, taking a taxi in to town for supper won't be a budget breaker. It's walkable to/from town, but after diving all day, that isn't appealing to me.

Another option might be Casa del Mar. It's small but a little less intimate than Blue Angel. It's kind of a mini resort. It's further south than Blue Angel, but any of the ops that leave from downtown could pick you up there, which includes Deep Blue. I've done a lot of diving with them and would second that recommendation.

The upside of Blue Angel is that the rooms are all ocean view, right on the ocean. CDM feels like it's right on the ocean and there are ocean view rooms, but it's actually across the street from the ocean. CDM does have their own "beach" and dock. It has it's own restaurant, and there are a couple other eating options very close, namely Ernesto's Fajita Factory and Paprika. If you price CDM, make sure you get a room with a balcony/terrace. You'll want/need that if you're diving. There are those that have said it's walkable to town. I've walked to town from CDM and wouldn't say the same, even if I was only diving in the morning. Blue Angel is a far more reasonable walk.

At either of those places, the interesting nightlife is going to be in town.

Upscale? The Presidente or the Landmark. (Landmark is the old Fiesta right?). Both of those places leave your diving options wide open. They're south of the marina, so any dive op can pick you up, and you're far enough north that you can dive all the marine park sites. If you stay far south, the ops aren't going to want to take you north for the second dive, and then turn around and take you back to your southern resort. I think some of the southern resort dive ops won't even take you too far north for dives for the same reason.

We are huge ScubaClubCozumel fans. You can do the breakfast/lunch option, with dinner downtown if you want. We usually just eat there as we like the food.
FYI - before anyone jumps on me for saying this, we live in ABQ new mexico, so we eat tacos, enchiladas, tamales, all the time and the food here is very good. So don't tell me I am missing something. We like at SCC that they do have Mayan options on menu several times a week, but I love having seafood as we don't have that in ABQ, LOL.

We are huge ScubaClubCozumel fans. You can do the breakfast/lunch option, with dinner downtown if you want. We usually just eat there as we like the food.
FYI - before anyone jumps on me for saying this, we live in ABQ new mexico, so we eat tacos, enchiladas, tamales, all the time and the food here is very good.

Actually, there is not all that much what we would call "Mexican Food" on Cozumel. I go out to eat every night on Cozumel and I live on seafood.

Actually, there is not all that much what we would call "Mexican Food" on Cozumel. I go out to eat every night on Cozumel and I live on seafood.
My view is "good food" is "good food". Regardless of how it came about. If it's local (Yucatan), great. If not, that's all good too. Just back from the mainland for about 10 days where I had some really, really good food in Tulum. Nobody would call it traditional Mexican. And it was EXPENSIVE!

Back
Top Bottom