OxyCheq - Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This looks like just the ticket from my trip to Cozumel in late Dec/early Jan! Would be nice to know if it'll work with my original 30# Mach V and STA, so if anyone gives it a try, please let us know. Though I don't see why it wouldn't. What with all the new bag restrictions, I want to pack as compactly as possible. Maybe I'll look at getting the 18# Mach V. Should work well with my 3/2 Bare full in 78 degree water, yes?

I used my current 30# Mach V and SS plate in the Keys, and it worked well, but even less weight would be nice.

Edit: How well will the older Mach V 30# wing hold a tank if I cut the slots for a cam strap and don't use the STA for warm water?

Last edited:
I just dove with my ultra lite back plate over the weekend with my mach V signature and deluxe adjustable harness. I was using OxyCheq SS travel plate previously. Below is my short review on the back plate.

Setup:
It is a lot easier to setup the harness with the plate compare to OxyCheq SS travel plate. The setup up instruction that came with the plate does make the job easier.

The original tank cam band slot located in the middle of the plate is not able to secure the tank tightly no matter how tight I secure it so I had to spread both my tank cam bands into the slots above and below the center tank band slot.

Diving:
Although the plate does fit on to the body contour better, I find the tank tends to wobble u/w compare to my SS travel plate. The anti roll control mechanism on the Mach V Signature does not seem to work very well with the ultra lite back plate. I have not tried using STA with the plate yet but I suppose using a STA will minimize the tank roll u/w.

Looking at the photos of the plate alone and with the wing attached I noticed there is only 1 slot for the camband but there are 2 cambands with the wing attached. Based on the wing shots the camband has to pass through the plate at 2 places yet there does not appear to be 2 slots. What am I missing?

Looking at the photos of the plate alone and with the wing attached I noticed there is only 1 slot for the camband but there are 2 cambands with the wing attached. Based on the wing shots the camband has to pass through the plate at 2 places yet there does not appear to be 2 slots. What am I missing?

One camband goes through the slot in the backplate - the other goes under a piece of vertical webbing that runs the length of the backplate.

I dove mine for a week in the Keys and found it quite stable - a lot like diving an old plastic back pack. One thing you have to be sure of is that you pull the shoulder straps tight after you put it on - they loosen up when you remove it because of the speed harness set-up. I found that it was better to retighten them once I got into the water - just sort of tugged at the waist strap and then tightened my buckle, again.

Now I see, looks like the web attaches at the top and bottom, likely held in place with the gromments as well. Thanks
Funny you should say it is like diving an old backpack, it looks very much like an old White Stag I have.

So... this plate will work with a Mach V without cam slots too? If I use sex bolts and a STA to hold it together?

I can answer your question. Yes, it will work with their mini STA and sex bolts. I have my 30# Mach V on it right now. I prefer it with my 18# Razor wing though. :eyebrow:

TN Traveler, I noticed on some pix you posted that you ran your upper cam band around the entire plate rather than through the piece of vertical webbing on the back of the plate.

I just got my ultra lite plate and 30# razor wing and when I mate the two, it doesn't seem like the cam band could go through the wing and the vertical webbing. The spacing doesn't work out. Is that why you ran your cam band around the plate? Or was if for increased stability or some other reason. Or have you changed the set up since the photos?

TN Traveler, I noticed on some pix you posted that you ran your upper cam band around the entire plate rather than through the piece of vertical webbing on the back of the plate.

I just got my ultra lite plate and 30# razor wing and when I mate the two, it doesn't seem like the cam band could go through the wing and the vertical webbing. The spacing doesn't work out. Is that why you ran your cam band around the plate? Or was if for increased stability or some other reason. Or have you changed the set up since the photos?

I originally did not see the slot in the vertical webbing - so I ran my camband around the "plate". It made the camband a little tight, but did work. Later Patrick pointed out that there was a slot and I switched to it - and yes, it is tight and I have commented to Patrick about it. Patrick said they are coming out with some 1" cambands, that would make the fit perfect for the upper slots. The upper camband just stabilizes the tank, the lower one is when really holds the tank in place.

I have rigged my new mini plate with an original Mach V using my "Nemrod Mod" DiveRite STA. Works good. However, I purchased a 18# Mach V as well and that is what is on the mini plate at the moment. I just got this set up and have only been playing with it in the pool in prep for an upcoming trip. Using a single camband I can slip it between the STA and the wing in the center and the STA holds the tank correctly aligned without having a second camband. Eliminating a camband reduces the weight just a bit. I may cut the slots as suggested and try it both ways. I sort of like the STA, very stable and gives the plate some "spine" and since I have drilled the STA full of holes and cut it down it does not weigh much. I can roll the wing and plate around the STA like a taco for packing.

Has anyone uses an STA with the 18# wing as we are talking ab out. Instead of using the second camband to stabilize the rig the STA performs that function and just have a single camband. N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom