Oxycheq Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$300.00 is too much. I was under the impression that Oxycheq would be selling them for a lot less.

Personally, I would rather just pay the extra $40.00 and get a Halcyon that I know will work properly.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
$300.00 is too much. I was under the impression that Oxycheq would be selling them for a lot less.

Personally, I would rather just pay the extra $40.00 and get a Halcyon that I know will work properly.

It occurs to me that the introduction of another quality singles wing is going to lead to some changes in a lot of discussions on forums (fora?) like this.

The main thing is that now the anti-DIR crowd should have a viable alternative for singles diving. I'm sure there are folks out there so death against DIR and anything ressembling it that they will tape down their monstro doubles wing to dive singles before they would 'fess up to diving a Halcyon. Now they too can enjoy the benefits of using a purpose built wing when they are diving the sunny southern waters, while still using the plate and harness they already have.

This could put an end to the accusations that GUE is in business to promote Halcyon through DIRF and DIR demo events. I wonder if Oxycheq did the same as Halcyon and offered loaners at those events if the instructors would accept. It would be smart business all the way around. It's a chance for GUE to back up their claims of non-partisanship with Halcyon, which have had some credibility in the past. Who else had a wing as well-suited to singles diving as Halcyon's? It's an opp for Oxycheq to promote their single wing product (at least). And it even benefits Halcyon through broadening the customer base for recreational bp/wing use.

It should help to lower the resistance on the part of some rec divers to adopt the bp/wing setup that many of us have found to be so functional and adaptable. In this sense the introduction of another true singles wing is likely a boon to Halcyon. The more brand names there are in a given market, the more credibility or acceptance the product is going to get.

As for the cost differential. What price did you expect on a new wing comparable in style, quality and utility to Halcyon's? Materials, d&d, production, marketing and distribution costs still apply, and the dealers are entitled to something for their efforts in retailing the wings. Should we look at this another way and acknowledge that perhaps Halcyons aren't all that expensive after all. One thing is for certain. Now that there's a head-to-head matchup going on, the prices are going to be affected by the competition. Therefore this product's introduction should be gleefully welcomed by even the hardcore Halcyon fans.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new wing, just because I'm a gearpig, and also because another poster here won't give back my Halcyon 27 pounder.

Respectfully
JohnF

Boogie711 once bubbled...
You're not getting the wing back alive until I...

... I don't know yet. But I'll think of something good.

Well, will you at least consider diving it at Gulliver's some time this week, so I can see that it's safe and well, and test the fix on my drysuit? I might even let you you have the Koplin travel plate that belongs with the wing. They should be together, and since you won't give me the wing, at least you could borrow the plate.

JohnF

Seacur once bubbled...

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new wing, just because I'm a gearpig,

And I'm looking forward to your review!

cornfed once bubbled...

And I'm looking forward to your review!

Not as much as I'm looking forward to trying these new toys. 8)

JohnF

Seacur once bubbled...

Not as much as I'm looking forward to trying these new toys. 8)

JohnF

Well, actually... I'm really looking forward to someone else trying it so I can see it it's worth doing so myself. And frankly, there aren't many other people I'll like to see try if first!

Seriously, I can't wait for your review. I have (or had :) ) a halcyon wing so you will be able to make a good comparison.

Drew

I found some photos of the new Oxycheq single wing but I would like to know more details and get some opinions. It is quite new on the market so I doubt anyone has had a chance to dive with it but you might have seen it at trade shows or your LDS. I read the thread by jopnscubas but would like more info.

1. What is it made out of? Is it 1050 cordura and is it coated?

2. What is its capacity? I think it is 45 lbs but I am not sure. Are there other sizes available?

3. According to the Oxycheq website it has expandable gussets placed close to the cylinder. This is different than the Halcyon Pioneer wing which expands the bladder on the lower outside edge which might make the Oxycheq wing more streamlined except that the top of the Oxycheq wing does not seem as low profile as the Pioneer. I have also heard a few concerns about the Pioneer getting holes. I wonder if it is from the expandable bladder pushing against the outside edge of the back plate and if so I am hoping that the Oxycheq design might resolve this problem by placing the expandable gussets on the inside near the tank.

4. Does the top of the Oxycheq bladder expand too much so that it might interfere with a diver lifting their head when in a horizontal position? The top of the Halcyon Pioneer wing looks like it is lower profile.

5. Any other thoughts on the wing?

Note: I have no doubt that the Pioneer wing is an excellent product with a long track record. I am using it for comparison because it was the wing I have been considering buying prior to the Oxycheq wing becoming available.

Link to photo of wing
http://www.selchie.com/whats_new_and_custom_stuff.htm

Boogie711 once bubbled...
Basically, the entire board is waiting for someone to dive with one of those suckers and give us a report.

Those wings look mighty tempting. I just might have to call Pat and see if he can ship a 40# for doubles to put on the plate.

If you bring some premium Molson with ya on the next trip to Gilboa I might even let ya take it fer a swim and ya can do yer own report.

Back
Top Bottom