Oxycheq Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you asked...
I would get the 30# wing. If you're properly weighted with your 23 lbs, then 30 lbs of lift should be sufficient. I've heard the Halcyons are off by about 10%, which would put the 27 closer to 24. Still enough, but as you noted, "a touch more" would be nice. If the Oxycheq is a true 30, it seems like a perfect fit.
I dive with 22# in salt, with my 7mm and a LPS 80, and I plan to get a wing in the 27 to 30# range. I've been waiting for the Oxy's and the new OMS 29. It'll be nice to have more choices in this area.

And I think you're right, especially if it's an "honest 30."

Keep in mind I wear more than 22 pounds - my tanks are 9 lbs negative when full and about 1 pound neg when empty, so it's closer to 24 or 25 at the safety stop level (which is what I'm weighted for), but 32 with a full tank. I'm almost concerned I'd be too negative at the start of a dive...

I guess the only real answer is keep working at dropping that weight, huh? :D

I would really like to see a comparative analysis on the size and shape of these wings vs. each other and vs. the Halcyons.

Oh well - patience... patience...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
I also think that comparing these wings to Halcyon's Pioneer is an insult to OXYCHEQ...

Why? They clearly copied, and possibly improved upon the Pioneer wing.

James

Well, it needed some help......

Lets hope it gets some. I'm waiting as well.

I use a 27lb Halcyon. With a Fred T AL backplate. And a Faber HP100 that's 14lbs negative. With a 3mm suit. And no weight belt.

I float at the start of the dive with my bc air'd up. And can easily swim it up. At the end of the dive. I'm still a little heavy. And can swim it up.

But umm, what happens if that 45lb lift BC fails? Really, steels are for drysuits. Drop the 11lb weight belt? You can do that with the 30. Or the 27. Since you tried the 27 you should be able to answer this question for yourself.

And if the 45lb is for a Heiser, He's a fool. I've never seen anyone dive them. So with the small amount of people that use them, He ain't getting his money back on the set up of the wing. I think they had other reasons.

Boogie,
Let's not worry about the safety stop; if you've got enough lift at depth with a full tank, you've got plenty for your stop. So, at the start of the dive you've got 22# of lead (well, lead and stainless steel), and your tank is 9# negative. Your exposure suit has compressed and lost its buoyancy, but you still have most, if not all, of your personal buoyancy, so you're not really 31# negative. Unless you're neutral with no gear, in which case you are 31# negative. I'm 6# positive in salt, with no gear, but that may not be the case for you.

I'm interested to see how these wings work out.

Oxycheq and Koplin should have come up with something unique rather than just make a Halcyon clone. All the guys who already own Halcyon wings are not likely to switch.

However, if these wings are well made and end up working, maybe Halcyon will make some improvements and/or price cuts to their gear.

Mverick once bubbled...
And if the 45lb is for a Heiser, He's a fool. I've never seen anyone dive them. So with the small amount of people that use them, He ain't getting his money back on the set up of the wing. I think they had other reasons.
That was posted in jest.

It's not unreasonable that some people might dive a LP120 with an AL40, and you would need a large single wing for that.

Back
Top Bottom