"P" Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of getting ( currently on order ) a "P" Valve for my drysuit. Might be a little late, but I was wondering what those who had them thought of them. I've heard the comment " they are only another spot for failure " which is probably true, but I think if they work OK and don't leak, it's probably user error causing many problems.

The reason for the purchase is I noticed last year that, over 3 dives during the day, I was having a tendancy not to hydrate myself. Obviously, I didn't want to pee while I'm diving. Probably not the greatest thing to be doing. Thoughts ?

I installed a p valve in my suit last spring. I have only "fully equipped" on about 5 of the 100 dives I have done since, simply leaving the one way valve to do its thing. I have had no leak issues at all.

Since I only dive dry and try to stay hydrated, the valve is a MUST for me. Another point of failure, yes. But IMO, it is something that makes my diving much much more comfortable. Instead of not being able to concentrate because I have to pee so bad, I just let it go and I can focus again. I wouldn't own another drysuit WITHOUT a pee valve.

I'm in favor of the pee valve.:D

mine has leaked from the valve itself once in 50 or so dives, and i've had failures about 10 or so times. however, my wonderful bf has had far fewer failures (maybe 3?) in the same dives, so i think that's more a she-p thing.

there are many great threads. the main idea - rochester widebands. don't put one on to try it & then try to take it right off. that's a bad idea.

I think you'll like it. The ability to drink like crazy and not worry about it is very nice.

I think everybody who uses one has had some failures. They're unpleasant but hardly disastrous.

Thanks all. In a weird way, I'm sort of looking forward to it. I love new "stuff".

rochester widebands. don't put one on to try it & then try to take it right off. that's a bad idea.

QFT......I learned the hard way. Then again, I'd rather have it stuck on really well rather then fall off and have a suit full of pee......

:hijackedthread:

I'm also looking into getting a pee valve.
I'd like to know if the quick disconnector is considered a "failure point", practically.
Thanx for your help

Kaza

Just got a Halcyon pee valve. Works great. My hose routing caused discomfort.

Any suggestions on routing the hose?

Just got a Halcyon pee valve. Works great. My hose routing caused discomfort.

Any suggestions on routing the hose?
You did not mention if you route up or down. I route my junk up.
I bring the hose up and of course have to put a U bend in it to attach to the cath.
if you just try to put the fitting on the cath you will possibly get a kink in the cath near the connection point. What I do to prevent that is take a piece of string and tie it to each side of the U so the string maintains the U shape. That way the tubing comes straight up and then the bend , then straight down to the cath. I have not had any kinks with it that way. A friend cut the tubing and installed to 90 degree bends to
make a U . It works great too.
I was doing a search the other day for cath prices and saw a listing for a cath that is extra thick in the area of the connection to prevent kinks. I may get a sample to see what they are like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom