"P" Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got a Halcyon pee valve. Works great. My hose routing caused discomfort.

Any suggestions on routing the hose?

I rout down, never had a problem that way. Tried up and got kinks. My friend routs up and likes it that way, but he can not pee in a vertical position, IE; while standing up.

I found the best way to avoid cath squeeze is to "fill it up a little" before getting in water. This is hard with up routing.

You can try up routing and if you don't like it then cut hose, hard to do in reverse order.

The technology has advanced far beyond the days of simple pieces of cloth. You really don't feel it that much. It does feel like your carrying something heavy around, but not as damp as you'd imagine. Dampness promotes rashes, which can develop into infections. So the better dampness control you have, the better it'll be for the patient. That's one key feature that got a lot of focus while developing the technology currently available.

See I have heard the adult ones don't work as well as children's nappies though.. basically what Baby Duck said.

And by 'not as damp as you imagine', basically I want zero damp. Does it feel damp at all?

I'm sure there's plenty of suitable hiding places in your dwelling. And if they find them, you can always tell them, "wtf, why are you snooping around my things"

:rofl3: But the damage has been done! :)

I always carry a spare change of clothes in case I get flooded. I carry the "nappies" in the bottom of the small clothes bag. I carry the bag with me when I go take the last peeing before suiting up. After the last peeing I install the "nappies". I only use one per dive trip day -- usually two dives per day.

Yea I do the same (in case my suit or p-valve fails on a dive). But yea I still think it sounds icky to wear a nappy. I mean I don't care if other people do it but it just seems... gross to have a nappy on.

You dispose of them in the same place where bathroom paper waste goes. Just bunch them into a tight ball (no liquid will squeeze out) and use the adhesive strips to keep the ball in shape. Because it's heavier it usually goes to the bottom of the waste basket. I don't know much about this, but I suspect it's not any more complicated than disposing of womanly period absorbing devices.

Well see putting them on and taking them off would be a problem. I often dive in places were there may be no places to change or places to dispose of rubbish. It all goes in a bag in the car to dispose of when I get home or somewhere civilised. I imagine nappies would get smelly. With a cath, I put it on before I leave for a dive and leave it on all day (I could have it on for 12 hours, and be in the water for five hours of that). I don't know how much capacity nappies have or whether it is realistic to leave one on for an entire day.

Cath also allows me to pee standing up, which is another good thing especially if I am in the middle of a paddock or somewhere with no discreet places to pee. :) I can just turn my back, tell my buddy to avert his eyes and pee anywhere. Or at most public toilets it is handy, as they are disgusting.

It's not just the hole punching. In the men's version, if you get an unbalanced one you may end up suffering painful squeezing.

I'm female and I have had squeeze in my balanced valve. Basically I was doing a shallow dive (<10m) and I forgot a drysuit hose to attach to my regs. I just hooked up my BC, planning to swap if squeeze was an issue and I left it too late and ended up at 8m strangled by my suit. I got squeeze in my pee valve. This has never been a problem other than when I have misused my drysuit. But I just ascended a bit, all good.

I imagine it would have been worse for a man though... :shocked2:

If you get a balanced one, the balancing chamber could become a bacterial haven and end up causing infections.

I'm up to about 100, actually maybe more, dives in my p-valve and I take the whole valve out and soak it in disinfectant *religiously*. I do the same with my she-p, no infections so far. I think the risk is minor but it is a valid concern for sure.

Then, there are the hoses that can disconnect without the diver knowing about it and result in a wet surprise. There's even "public relations" challenges: a friend of mine was adjusting his P-valve while facing some bushes. To the untrained eye, it appeared he was committing a public urination "crime". The site just happened to be in the middle of a controversy because a few local residents wanted to ban diving activities due to the alleged public urination divers were doing...

Sure. But that's just getting pee on you, so no different to using a nappy right? :)

Tell your friend to adjust it in the car or something :wink:

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk you out of using nappies or whatever but given you said alternative methods should be discussed (I agree) I figured it might be useful to flesh out the pros and cons of both methods. I'm still not convinced about nappies... :wink:

Cath also allows me to pee standing up...
I see... So, after all this boils down to male envy... I kid, I kid.

Before talking to my friend I wasn't even considering any other options outside the p-valve. I had already located an LDS that had a halcyon one on stock and the shop allowed me to study the installation instructions at lenght. I thought I could borrow an adequate hole punch from my friend. That's when he suggested I try diapers.

I'm in no way trying to suggest diapers are superior. As with everything else there are pros and cons. If I were to try the valves, there is a high likelihood that I would convert. After all, at that point I would have already punched the hole and might as well keep on using it.

Another thing is that I bought the diapers many months ago and I still haven't gone through the whole package. Fact is that I'm not using them on many dives simply because I don't need them on all dives. This brought up the point of usage frequency. Is it warranted to have a permanent fixture on my suit that I will only use occasionally? I don't know just yet. Maybe it is. But even then, I have a low commitment option for the occasions when I need it...

Maybe all this is just delaying my eventual migration to the valve. Perhaps now that I got 2 drysuits I'll just go ahead and punch a hole through one of them.

I see... So, after all this boils down to male envy... I kid, I kid.

Hahaha, maybe a bit! It is so much easier peeing standing up when in places with no toilets!!! Also especially when I am diving in places were there are lots of snakes I like the fact that my bits are further away from where snakes are living... :shocked2:

I'm in no way trying to suggest diapers are superior. As with everything else there are pros and cons. If I were to try the valves, there is a high likelihood that I would convert. After all, at that point I would have already punched the hole and might as well keep on using it.

Sure, I've just never seen many people post about their experiences with nappies (sorry diaper is not a word I am used to using for this thing) so figured I'd ask about it whilst I had the chance.

Another thing is that I bought the diapers many months ago and I still haven't gone through the whole package. Fact is that I'm not using them on many dives simply because I don't need them on all dives. This brought up the point of usage frequency. Is it warranted to have a permanent fixture on my suit that I will only use occasionally? I don't know just yet. Maybe it is. But even then, I have a low commitment option for the occasions when I need it...

Ok fair enough. I hook up every dive I do dry now (with very few exceptions, maybe two out of the last fifty dry dives). I don't use it all of the time (maybe 50-60%) but I never know when I need it so find it much less stressful being able to go whenever I want.

Maybe all this is just delaying my eventual migration to the valve. Perhaps now that I got 2 drysuits I'll just go ahead and punch a hole through one of them.

Haha fair enough. You can always just leave the valve unused if you don't end up liking it. It is a failure point but there are already a few on the suit anyway so I haven't found it a huge concern.

Installed it 20 dives ago, I think it was the second (after the dry-suit itself) best purchase :)

Knocking on wood no leak has happened.

The point of extra failure point is kind of week IMHO as the valve can always be closed if both valves leak.

When I started using the valve I noticed feeling much better after the dives as I started drinking much more water and dehydrated less.

Kinking can be avoided by cutting teh tip of the cath. With the halcyon valve and the connector they provide it is approx 5-10 mill to be cut. I had the hose in different positions relative to the cath and no kinking or blocking happened in those 20 dives.

I routed mine down and up, which places everything compact on the thigh. One need ot make a hole in the undergarment though but in this config the undergarment can still slide up or down settling nice during the undergarment stretch.

I hook up every dive I do dry now...
Ahhh, but now we know it's because you like to pee standing up.
Sure, I've just never seen many people post about their experiences with nappies (sorry diaper is not a word I am used to using for this thing) so figured I'd ask about it whilst I had the chance.
In that case, and now that we've agreed that we're not trying to convert anyone into anything, allow me to expand on my experiences. One thing to watch out for is the absorbing speed. You can't just hold it to almost the bursting point and then just open the flood gates. If you do so, there will be some spillage. I found that it is more comfortable to release earlier on, do it frequently and in a smaller amounts. Do not wait until the near end and do fewer but larger releases.

Do not use the "pull up" style. This is a tip the lady at the store taught me. If you use "pull up" style you need to completely take off pants and underwear in order to put them on or take them off. Instead use the style that has adhesive tabs to secure the upper back end with the upper front end. This style allows you to don/doff them without entirely taking your clothes off. This is very convenient when using bushes as change rooms.

Put underwear over the diaper. It'll help keep things in place in case the adhesive stretches, shifts, or fails. It also gives another absorbing layer of protection. If needed, you know you have a clean set of clothes above the surface in your car.

It is hard to gauge the level of dampness while underwater. It is similar to the situation you find when you're not entirely sure if you have a suit leak, if it is just sweat, or if it is just a cold spot because the undergarment shifted. You have to get on the surface and out of the suit to get confirmation. Of course you feel the dampness immediately after the fluid release, but this gets absorbed pretty quick and then you feel drier. How damp or how dry you are is difficult to tell.

Though I fortunately have not had to face this in the water, it was pointed out to me that diapers also provide protection against bowel incidents. I've heard that the changes in pressure and its effect on intestinal gases can exacerbate a previously tense situation.

Let me know if there are more questions.

When I started using the valve I noticed feeling much better after the dives as I started drinking much more water and dehydrated less.
I normally drink good amounts of water and I do not change this habit when I go diving. The worst that can happen is that I pee on myself and this is preferable to a chamber ride. For many hours after the dives I find myself extra thirsty and drink even higher amounts of water. I chuck it, at least in part, to the dry tank gases.

Received my pee valve, not installed yet. Last night, I tried 2 different condoms/catheters to see which I liked the best. Both were fine going on. One glue on type and the other with the 2 sided sticky tape that you roll the condom over. Getting them off is a whole other story. I haven't had that much going on down there since I was 12 years old. The glue on condom type is very hard to remove for obvious reasons, the sticky tape one sure stuck as well, but didn't seem to be as leak proof. This is going to be more work that I first thought, but I guess I need to practise the on/off situations. I'd get my wife to help, but then I'd need the larger size which wouldn't work in the cold water.

Tried routing down first from the business end and then up out my zip in the Bare underwear. Seemed to want to kink all the time at the business end.

Just thought I'd share....

Keep us on the loop. I have not done the transition and may be doing it in a future. This is very informative.

You need to shave the area it's going to stick too, getting hair caugh in the glue can lead to an unpleasant removal process.
I use Rochester widebands, and I usually do the removal in the shower.

Back
Top Bottom