"P" Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting a dry suit without a P valve is like getting a Mustang with a 4-cylinder engine.

Without a P valve you are not taking full advantage of what a dry suit has to offer.

Tried routing down first from the business end and then up out my zip in the Bare underwear. Seemed to want to kink all the time at the business end.

Just thought I'd share....

Part of the "tuning process" is figuring how and where "your plumbing" hangs and getting a hose that's pre-curved and the right length so everything lines up between you and the valve without any bending or twisting. I actually leave a single loop (about 4" diameter) to relieve any pulling or twisting.

Bending or twisting the vinyl tubing will kink it or at the very least restrict flow and bending your "hose" will do the same thing. If the end of the catheter bends instead of the hose, the catheter may kink, so making sure everything lines up and is happy when assembled is a big part of the process.

If you go to the hardware store, you'll notice that the vinyl tubing coming off the roll has a different amount of curvature depending on whether it's at the beginning or end of the roll. It may also have some kinks in it.

You want to buy a non-kinked piece that's already appropriately curved and is also about the right length. Once you find this magic section of tubing, everything will work just fine.

I also recommend the Rochester Widebands. And also recommend taking them off in the shower. The adhesive is quite impressive.

Terry

Getting a dry suit without a P valve is like getting a Mustang with a 4-cylinder engine.

Without a P valve you are not taking full advantage of what a dry suit has to offer.
Exactly:D
First thing I do to a new suit is put a p-valve in. I always hook up even on relatively short 30-45 minute dives. (its become a head thing now and if for some reason I don't , its almost a sure bet I'll need it:idk:)
I like having the quick disconnect. If you're in a public place, its easy to put the cath on in a porta-john or restroom prior to suiting up. Prior to getting a QD I would usually only hook up if it was going to be a longer dive.
As for failures, in 13 years or so , I only had 1 that you could associate with a suit failure . I had ordered a new suit with a p-valve installed and they did a bad glue job. It was a minor leak and easily fixed.Other than that my only problems were user error,( kinks,etc.) and few and far between.

Oxycheq still makes the bolt style valve which you can close if your not going to use it. If your worried about it leaking when not in use.

Installed the "P" valve last night . The usage will be interesting, to say the least. The install itself was no big deal, which I sort of expected. However, the fellow that offered to help me said he'd installed quite a few before and had never seen an install where my business end points down. ( my recommendation ) I had thought pointing down is a fairly normal hang position and one which I had assumed would be the case with the "P" valve install. No, it wasn't to be. His recommended position for my anatomy is pointing up, cath attached and an easy ( no kinks ) bend out of my Bare underwear and then down to the valve. I will admit the tube is better this way with no kinks and potential blockages, also, less potential slippage of the catheter, but I'm not looking forward to my anatomy doing exactly the opposite hang that it has done for a hell of a long time now. I'm going on a dive trip for about 2 weeks. I'll report back again after that. This is gonna be weird..

A helpful hint I was told last night is to wet ( water ) the end of the tube. Then it just slides on the catheter a lot easier. Don't know if it's true or not, will find out soon.

I have the valve installed pointing down, everything is resting compact on the inner thigh. No kinking and so far (for around 20 dives) no issues I did not like the idea of the hose traversing so many bending points

Installed my "P" Valve May 18th as I talked about in a previous post. Just returned from 10 days cold water diving. What can I say ? The valve is great. I can now drink my coffee before and tons of water during the day, between dives etc. No dehydration. I don't get that dry mouth from the tank air anymore and I think I feel better at the end of 3 dives/day. I highly recommend the valve or anything similar. As far as my previous concerns of routing " my junk " up ( as a previous poster put it ), no problems at all and it took about 15 minutes to get used to it. So, to summarize the routing, my junk is pointed up ( held in place by underwear ) with a gentle loop out of my dry suit underwear and down to the valve on my right inner thigh. Works great for me, no kinks to speak of and, when operating properly, no leaks. Underwater, just float on your back and gently have a pee. It's a wonderful thing.

I encountered no leaks at all. The only " mishap " / peed on myself was when I discovered ( first day) the catheters/condoms glue does not last the whole day, even though they say they do. Welll, they don't. The glue is not effective after about 6 hours. Not a big deal now though as, with a small amount of practise, the catheters go on quick and the tube , after you wet it, just slides on. You can pee anywhere, anytime.

A vinegar and water mixture sprayed from a spray bottle into the tubing a couple of times at the end of the day disinfects the tubing and the valve itself.

Another option I hadn't seen before the install was a front zip on the dry suit. This obviously is not for use during the dive. I mention it now just because I did not know there was that option. Myself, I still like the valve.

rochester widebands. don't put one on to try it & then try to take it right off. that's a bad idea.

NOW you tell me! You're not kidding either. :shocked2:

Pete

I'm glad things are going all right with your new accessory. Did you have to shave? I know about relief zippers but I decided against those a long time ago. It's just another point of failure and you can only use them outside the water. I don't know if you've noticed that the urgency to pee diminishes once you get out of the water. Somebody was telling that it is because of the way body fluids are redistributed while the body is submerged. It made sense to me because there usually is no problem controlling your bladder for a 2 hr movie or a 3 hr flight, but try holding it for a 2 hour dive and you'll easily note the difference. So by the time I get out of the water, I can then walk to a restroom or a bush and strip out enough of the drysuit to urinate comfortably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom